Unmountable Boot Volume

Smiler 16:34 06 Sep 06

A friend recieved this message so we put an XP CD in rebooted and went to the recovery console typed chkdsk /p and pressed enter. Got the message "may have one or more unrecoverable disk errors"
So I typed fixboot and got the message "no drive" or similar (memory's getting old)

Does this mean the drive is u/s?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:49 06 Sep 06

check ide cables are fully inserted at drive and motherboard.

and retry

also try fixmbr

Smiler 18:29 06 Sep 06

That didn't work.
Had a thought though, that while going into recovery console it asks if a third party scsi driver is necessary which it probably is and they don't have the disk. So I'm trying to find something online

Smiler 14:30 09 Sep 06

Sorry about the delay in getting back about this but been out and about for a couple of days.

I found a driver disc for the via sata controller. Ran recovery console, did chkdsk /p which returned the message "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems."

So I typed in "fixboot" adn got the following messages.

"The target partition is The file system on the startup partition is unknown.
Fixboot is attempting to detect the file system type.
Boot sector is corrupt
Fixboootis checking the file system type
Partition is using the FAT file system
Fixboot is writing a new boot sector
bootsector cannot be fixed"

Is there anything that can be done??

antonic 14:51 09 Sep 06

No,

It sounds like you have a broken hard drive

DieSse 15:24 09 Sep 06

I agree with antonic - it looks like the drive is broken.

You could try testing it with the manufacturers diagnostics - Seatools for Seagate drives - others for others.

woodchip 15:31 09 Sep 06

If it's a Fat32 Drive, Easy. Download Win98se Boot disc click here Put a clean floppy in drive then double click on the file you downloaded, it will make the disc. Start the faulty computer with the 98 boot disc at A:\> you have to wait till it gets there. Type

FDISK /MBR press enter you will not see anything happen. remove floppy then try restart of computer

Smiler 16:37 09 Sep 06

Ran the boot floppy and it gave the messge C:/ is not a valid fat or fat32 partition.
Ran fdisk /mbr then restarted but no luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple