unmountable boot volume

nosure 20:20 15 Jan 06

hi
i have a pc that wont boot all i keep getting is the blue screen of death saying unmountable boot volume.it was ok till my brother loaded the drivers for his ipod on it, will this have caused it? i cant even get into safe mode.
a pal of mine said i could do a repair threw the disks that came with it, but all it says on the cover of the disk is factory reset disk.
will this wipe all my data of the hard drive.
or is there a thing on the disk that will sort it out,
any help will be great thanks

stalion 20:29 15 Jan 06

the factory recovery disk will restore your computer to it's original state when you first received it.You will lose all added programs and your data from that date.
But before you use this wait for any other suggestion that may be able to help

mgmcc 20:46 15 Jan 06

Boot the PC with a Windows 98 "boot floppy" which, if necessary, you can download from click here and at the A:\> prompt type:

FDISK /MBR

and press Enter. This will replace a damaged Master Boot Record on the hard drive. Remove the floppy, press Ctrl-Alt-Del to reboot and see if it then boots normally.

woodchip 21:13 15 Jan 06

If You have XP you should not use a Win98 Disc as that is for Fat System's You should start with the XP Floppy discs or a XP CD and Use the FIX /MBR In Consol Mode.

XP boot discs click here

nosure 11:41 16 Jan 06

hi
Thanks for helping, but im unsure as what to what boot floppy to use win98 or win xp, it's windows xp home that is on my pc,
and im no to sure what it is im supposed to do, if someone could talk me threw it that would be great. thanks

mgmcc 14:40 16 Jan 06

My suggestion was to download a Windows 98SE boot disk from the site I linked to. You actually download an .EXE file, which you run with a blank floppy in the drive, and it creates a Windows 98SE "Startup" disk.

Then put the floppy into the *problem* PC and boot with it. It should boot to an A:\> prompt at which you type:

FDISK /MBR

and press Enter. When it retrurns to the A:\> prompt, remove the floppy and press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart the PC.

As far as I'm aware, it doesn't matter that the installed operating system is XP or whether it is installed in a FAT32 or an NTFS partition. Put it this way, I have run the procedure with a hard drive running XP in an NTFS partition and it boots perfectly afterwards, although it may recognise the hard drive as "new hardware", install its drivers and prompt you to reboot.

nosure 11:39 17 Jan 06

hi
thanks for all your help problem sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac