Unmountable Boot Volume

griffo 12:06 02 Jan 05

I have the dreaded blue screen error Stop: 0x000000ED (0x812E0440, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). Have read other threads and created the 6 floppy setup disks (HP Omnibook XE3 running XP Pro - or was!), tried loading them and at the Welcome to Setup screen, pressing 'R', just goes back into the boot loop again! Won't boot into Safe Mode either. Any ideas please?

alan2k1 12:11 02 Jan 05

do you have an xp pro disc ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:13 02 Jan 05

UNMOUNTABLE-BOOT-VOLUME
click here

griffo 12:15 02 Jan 05

No, HP only supply recovery CD's which, apparently aren't any use in these situations. Other threads have directed enquirers to a site that suggests downloading and creating a set of 6 setup disks. Have tried them and they do load the Welcome to Setup screen (which is the same as appears when using a CD - I believe) and I selected R for repair, it examines the setup environment but doesn't take me to the DOS prompt, as I believe it should?

griffo 12:17 02 Jan 05

been there, tried that - please see my reply above.

alan2k1 12:17 02 Jan 05

Fruit Bat /\0/\ advice is spot on. in my experiance when in recoevery go straight for "chkdsk /r" is takes a long time but will normally solve the problem. dont forget when it has finished type excit

alan2k1 12:18 02 Jan 05

can you say exactly what you are getting when loading the floppies

griffo 12:25 02 Jan 05

they seem to load OK each one asking for the next, then after disk 6 loads, it takes me to the Welcome to Setup screen with the 3 options, Repair being option 2.

alan2k1 12:45 02 Jan 05

hi what are the other options ? i think your selecting the wrong 1

griffo 12:52 02 Jan 05

first... 'To set up Windows XP now, press enter
second ... To repair using the recovery Console, press R
third... To quit without installing WXP - press F3

Tried R twice now, it says, at the foot of the screen that it is examining the startup environment, then goes back into a reboot cycle ending with the blue screen error.

When I try any of the safe modes it lists o load of system 32 drivers, pauses a while and .. blue screen again!

alan2k1 13:06 02 Jan 05

i have only done this job using an xp disc and the option "to repair using the recovery console" is the correct option. what should happen is it should go into a further screen allowing you enter the chkdsk /r comand. i cant really offer any ideas for the behavior of your computer. it mite be worth trying to borrow a xp cd and boot up from cd (you may need to change boot up sequence in bios) and seeing if this helps. for you purposes a borowed cd will be fine

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…