Unlocking a mobile phone!

Mr "B" 17:26 20 Feb 06

I need a phone unblocking and was told that some bloke can do it by connecting it to his laptop and with the software he has can do this, but what i need do know is how does he do this(with what software and can i do this?) and also the main thing is, Is this legal?

Totally-braindead 17:28 20 Feb 06

It is legal a lot of the high street shops will do it for you so you can change network, typically they charge about £10. What software they use I just don't know.

Mr "B" 17:30 20 Feb 06

Thats what they said to me it would be about a tenner, would be interesting to know how they do it.

mattyc_92 17:36 20 Feb 06

I have always thought that they "flash" one of the chips in the phone.
Never really gave it much thought to be honest

amonra 17:37 20 Feb 06

click here,
Have a look here.

Fingees 17:39 20 Feb 06

Would it not be quicker and cheaper just to cage te simm?

Or doesn't it work like tht
I also have never really thougt about it.

mattyc_92 17:43 20 Feb 06

When you buy a mobile, the phone is "locked" to one network, so buying a new sim wouldn't work, as the phone wouldn't accept the sim

You need to "unlock" the phone AND buy a SIM card!!

Mr "B" 17:46 20 Feb 06

My thoughts exactly! The link amonra gave is very useful, thanks

spuds 17:58 20 Feb 06

There's a difference between 'unblocking' and 'unlocking'. Unlocking is quite legal, and there are a large number of outlets for doing this. The usual fee is between £5/£10. In some cases, a straight forward sim card change is all that is needed to make a new connection. Tesco's were selling their own sim cards for less than £4.00 last week.

Unblocking is a definite no,no. It is illegal to unblock a mobile, due to the fact that the mobile was locked by the service provider, as the item had been reported stolen or lost, and the mobile will now be registered on a data base as such.

Regarding software, there are quite a number of software packages available. But that's another story.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:21 20 Feb 06

You can buy Orange pay as you go cards for £1.76 on Ebay and this includes £1 credit as I know from experience ;-))

G

Diodorus Siculus 18:27 20 Feb 06

You can get a free Virgin Simcard with £5 credit:

Free Virgin Mobile SIMs
click here

Orange free here at times:

Orange - the Orange shop
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced