Unlocking a 'locked' doc in Word 2003

Duncanf 29 Nov 12
Answered

When updating a document I highlighted a section to cut and paste. For some reason the document froze and said Windows had to close. When I opened the document again I got a 'read only' copy which was in an older form and a notice that said the original doc was 'locked.' How can I get back to the original that I had been updating? Thanks in anticipation.

Woolwell 29 Nov 12
Answer

Try a reboot of your computer.

Sea Urchin 29 Nov 12

Close Word - then find the file that is locked. Don't open it, but right-click it and select Properties - untick the read-only box and click Apply etc

Duncanf 29 Nov 12

Thanks Woolwell and Sea Urchin for your replies. Rebooting the computer sorted the problem. I'll keep the other advice in case it happens again! Thanks to you both.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Wimbledon 2015 live online: follow the tennis from your laptop or PC

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

HTC's head designer on what's exciting in designing for mobile right now

Apple Music preview: Why Spotify should be scared of Apple's impressive new music-streaming service

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message