Unlocking encrypted file

Yimbo 09:26 19 Jul 10

Some time back, I put some confidential financial details in a file using Ashampoo Magical Security, creating a password to encrypt it. Now, I can't for the life of me remember the password. The point, of course is that there shouldn't be - but is there any way I can access this file?

Graphicool1 09:50 19 Jul 10
  Yimbo 10:50 19 Jul 10

I've sent the info - and await the response - keeping fingers crossed!

Yimbo 17:13 20 Jul 10

just had word back from Ashampoo - and it can't be done!! They tell me I should pay more heed to passwords!!

Graphicool1 09:29 21 Jul 10

Your update is both good and bad news. The only consolation is, at least you now know that if you use 'Ashampoo Magical Security' your confidential documents will be safe. On this occasion, even from you!

It's a hard lesson to learn and for me one that is slightly flawed. As it encourages you to keep copies of passwords. Which from my point of view has it's own attending risk's. Because if you (anyone) feels they have the need to hide or protect their confidential details from others. Then you are creating a knock on effect, having to hide the said passwords. Paranoia Rules!

Sadly, on this occasion I am unable to say all's well that end's well. ¦¬] G1

robin_x 09:53 21 Jul 10

I must have a dozen or more logins and passwords.

My router is the worst. It rejects my logins for half an hour then lets me in.

Most of my logins are of course identical, which we are always advised not to do.

And my banking is of course SpecialSecret.

How do I keep track?

Little notebook and a pencil.

I am not likely to be burgled, but if I am it won't help. Apart from logging on to my forums.

My banking details are in my head.

robin_x 10:00 21 Jul 10

click here

There is more on encryption if you Google.

Basically GCHQ may able to crack files.

But the likes of you or me cannot.

Yimbo 18:22 22 Jul 10

I guess that we learn most - and probably best, by good old experience!

I won't forget this recent lesson!!

Appreciate all your help! Thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple