Unknown TV Socket on Laptop

wizzy 19:55 11 Nov 03

I've got a socket on the right hand side of my laptop marked TV but I have no idea what it is used for. I guess it's got something to do with Television. If it helps I have a Time CyberNote 953E laptop.

Diodorus Siculus 23:43 11 Nov 03

Possibly a "TV Out" port to allow you to watch DVDs on a TV... just a thought that will at least get you back up the page again.

Sir Radfordin 08:54 12 Nov 03

Is it yellow? If so then its more than likely to be the phono connection for the TV out as suggested.

wizzy 11:54 12 Nov 03

It is not yellow. Only a basic tv connection fits. AV, S-Video and scarts do not fit. The tv out side of the cable seems to fit better then the tv in side.

Wizzy 12:16 12 Nov 03

I have just tryed connecting it to my TV. On my video channel I got a light blue screen that flickerd when my laptop was on. I tryed re tuning but no luck, also tryed switching my TV to the american standard but no luck. My video is on feq. C60 whatever that means. Any help.

Sir Radfordin 12:18 12 Nov 03

Does the laptop not have any documentation (PDF or printed) that tell you what the various ports are?

hugh-265156 13:08 12 Nov 03

it may be an RF in(ariel) socket if you have a tv tuner/card in the laptop.

Wizzy 13:36 12 Nov 03

I got the laptop 2nd hand with no documentation and I don't know if it has a tv tuner/card.

hugh-265156 13:55 12 Nov 03

had a look on times website and couldnt find any info.

have a look in control panel/display/settings/advanced for clues

also try control panel/system/hardware/device manager

try aida32 personal etd click here it will tell you everything you need to know about your hardware its very good.

Wizzy 15:09 12 Nov 03

Nothing in Control Panel and aida32 found nothing?
I also tryed downloading DScaler but that found no hardware.

hugh-265156 18:28 13 Nov 03

"aida32 found nothing"

if you click "display/gpu" it should at least tell you what video adapter you have.

also click "devices/physical devices" and have a look here.

and "motherboard/integrated devices"should give you some more info.

you said above "I have just tryed connecting it to my TV. On my video channel I got a light blue screen that flickerd when my laptop was on"

i have never heard of tv out connection using an RF connector but an RF lead will plug into a composite tv out connection,it wont work though.

if it is an RF socket it will be for an ariel to connect to the laptop tv tuner.i dont think you have this though .

it does sound more like its maybe composite video out,these are a lot more common.the connector may not be yellow in colour,sometimes they are not colour coded.

attach a phono lead from this to the video in on your tv if you have one(it should be yellow in colour on most tvs and is normally found under the flap on the front or at the side or back)if you dont have this connection on the tv you will need a composite to scart adapter.

going by the info aida32 gives you for your video adapter ie/ is it nvidia or ati or something else,get the latest drivers for it,then:

select the av channel on your tv remote control.

click control panel/display/settings/general (in xp anyway) there are two screens 1 & 2

click the second screen and tick "extend my desktop to this monitor)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…