Unknown trojan affecting McAfee updates

CurlyWhirly 01:22 16 Sep 04

I have been trying desperately to download updates for McAfee VirusScan 8 when I got home from my afternoon shift a few hours ago.
I had the following problem which was when I went to the UPDATE icon all that happened was that Internet Explorer would get stuck in a loop with a 'clicking noise' (i.e. the noise that you normally hear when you select links on websites) and the mouse pointer going crazy!
If I tried to CANCEL the operation all would happen is AOL 9 would crash with a 'Not responding' message.

I was suspicious that I had malware on my PC so I run a2 trojan scanner, virusscan, Spybot and Ad-aware and all found NOTHING.
When I run PestPatrol it found 4 entries of an 'unknown trojan' which even after deleting these entries I still had the same problem with the update website.
By the way I disabled both AOL's pop-up blocker and the NEW pop-up blocker that came with Service Pack 2 so it had nothing to do with this.

What was odd was EVERYTHING else worked okay like updates for Spybot, Ad-aware, etc but I was NOT happy as I was unable to update my virus definitions so in the end I turned to my faithful Drive Image 7 utility and restored my operating system to a fully working state again.
I cannot stress how IMPORTANT it is to make back-ups as doing this has saved my bacon LOADS of times!

One thing I am curious of is how I got this trojan as I don't bother with P2P networks OR open spam e-mail attachments?
It is as though this trojan only affected the McAfee website!
CW

CurlyWhirly 01:24 16 Sep 04

p.s. I am off to bed as I can sleep now as my PC is again up and running!
CW

CurlyWhirly 07:28 16 Sep 04

When I clicked on the link for more info on the PestPatrol pest list I was taken here click here
Has anyone else had a similar problem?
I looked through the manual removal instructions and they are very complicated which could explain why even after deleting the trojan I still had trouble updating my virus definitions as it must be deeply embedded in the registry.
CW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac