Unknown Programme - What is it?

Amer 09:46 05 Apr 04

Hi,

I have a Zone Alarm Firewall installed and it keeps asking me whjether itshopuld allow access tobthe internwet by a programme called WINCFGiD

Any ideaswhart rhis is?

I think it has somehow got into my system from the interet but no idea how and would like to know what it is and how I remove it

Any help most welcome

Amer

Amer 09:53 05 Apr 04

In relaion to hte qabove, on Windows Explorer it showsa s a Windows file called Prefetch

Amer

Gongoozler 10:13 05 Apr 04

I think that this could be the virus Backdoor.Elitem click here. This has a component Wincfg.exe, which I am guessing is trying to report back to it's site with Wincfgid.

thms 10:15 05 Apr 04

Is this what you mean click here

Amer 11:04 05 Apr 04

Thanks for you help. I have run my AVG complete test and it says there are no viruses and the link you sent to me suggests that this is quite an old virus so you would expect AVG to pick it up. Anyway thanks for your help, still a bit confused!

Amer

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 11:09 05 Apr 04

Looks a bit like the WINIPCFG command for finding your ip address but letter are different.

Regards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…