Unknown problem in background

Pip58 23:43 PM 25 Feb 12

Can anyone help please. When I log off and close down my laptop, for a nano-second, something flashes up on the screen and all I can make out are the words "is dead" but there is a lot more script, but it all happens so quickly i am unable to read any more. I have run my anti-virus several times and nothing is being flagged up. There are no viruses detected and no threats. I have also run Windows Security and again no virus or threat is found. Sometime ago I recall hearing that a virus or threat can lie dormant on the computer waiting to be triggered off?

Can anyone offer any suggestions what this might be and how do I establish what kind of threat or menace it is and how I can get rid off it before any damage is done.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks

rdave13 23:53 PM 25 Feb 12
  Pip58 00:05 AM 26 Feb 12

Thanks very much rdave13, I have got Chrome installed and you've now put my mind at rest. Very much appreciated.

Cheers Pip58

robin_x 11:24 AM 26 Feb 12

You could video the screen with your mobile phone and then step through it to double check the message.

Or try hitting the Pause button on the keyboard. But that's hit and miss and may not work anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The 14 most useless gadgets of all time: nauseating, crappy and downright silly technology, from a…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Google Maps for web gets a Material Design-inspired makeover

New Apple TV 2015 release date and UK price: buy from Apple in late October, in store in November