Unknown PCI Simple Communications Controller

Young Ranger 18:03 08 Jun 03

I recently upgraded from WIN ME to Win 2000 and in Device Manager I can see an unknown "PCI Simple Communications Controller".

there is no Driver installed (Code 28) and there are no conflicts, it uses interupt request 05.

I have no idea what is for or if any driver is required.

Could it be connected to the modem which appears to be installed correctly but when I try to connect to the internet the error message "Hardware failure in the modem" appears. If I try to send a fax using Phone Tools software I get the message "Not available or used by another application".

spikeychris 18:28 08 Jun 03

Yeah its the modem, use the update modem option. You will have to specify the loation of the driver which means you will have to see if its on the 2K disk or on FDD or grab one from the net.

Chris

Gongoozler 18:36 08 Jun 03

Hi Young Ranger. A search via Google found several references to "PCI Simple Communications Controller", and all say it is your modem. e.g. click here and click here. The most likely cause is that you have the wrong drivers for Windows 2000. You will have to identify what modem you have and download the correct drivers. If this is not possible you may have to get a new modem or perhaps Windows XP drivers might work.

Young Ranger 17:36 09 Jun 03

Downloaded a win 2000 driver and installed it OK. That got rid of the "PCI Simple Communications Controller" item in device manager but when I try to connect to the internet I still get the unable to detect modem message.

I have tried removing and reinstalling the modem (with the new driver again) but still the same situation. Everything looks OK in device manager.

Any more sugestions please ?

John-259217 17:52 09 Jun 03

Do you know what your modem is? Is it an Aztec MR2800 or a similar amr/cmr card?

If so you may have trouble getting Win2K or WinXP to work properly with it.

I have experienced similar problems on several O/S upgrades and, despite chasing around for driver updates etc, I have never had a satisfactory result.

spikeychris 18:14 09 Jun 03

Have you clicked add new modem from control panel? give the path to the new driver when you do.

Young Ranger 18:47 09 Jun 03

The modem is an Aztec MSP3880SP-W and the new driver down loaded from Driverguide.com named MSP3880spw_w2kBeta.zip.

I have tried adding the modem from control panel and also using the "detect modem" wizard which appears after I have tried to dial up. Still the same result.

John-259217 19:02 09 Jun 03

That should work OK.

All I can suggest is you try other drivers.

Try here click here you might find a better one.

woodchip 19:21 09 Jun 03

Is it a AMR or CNR modem, on a Riser card off the motherboard if so you will not get it to work until you install the AMR-CNR Port from the motherboard CD-ROM or you could download from the Motherboard site

Young Ranger 20:47 09 Jun 03

I have tried 3 different drivers with no success.

How do I tell if it is an AMR or CNR modem, on a Riser card

John-259217 22:03 09 Jun 03

Your modem is not an AMR/CNR type its a PCI card one.

Try this click here there may be some useful stuff here for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…