Unknown PC problem = slow broadband ??

Black66 23:30 13 Apr 06

I have a 2mb wanadoo wireless broadband connection to my PC

For 3 months the connection speed has been very good, but since last week it has been dramatically slower. Speed checks from the PC now register at only 40 - 350 kbps.
I know the problem is not with the line / ISP as I borrowed a laptop with a wireless card on the same line, from the same location and it still registers very near 2mb.

I regularly run Ad-aware and Spybot on the PC and have Sophos anti-virus and Sygate firewall operating. I have also ran housekeeping tasks such as de-frag and cleared out cookies & temp internet files

Other than the broadband connection, the PC is running fine. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

AMD Athlon 2200, 512mb ram, running XP pro.

skidzy 23:47 13 Apr 06

Option for you to find out if its your Internet explorer causing the problem.Im on wanadoo 2mb and switched to firefox browser...its so much better and with a few tweaks,even faster.Plus a very friendly interface and not confusing to use.

click here

If you need further help tweaking the firefox,just ask.

If you just want IE,maybe trying a repair should be your first port of call.
click here

Black66 00:14 14 Apr 06

Thanks for your reply Skidzy.

I'll give the repair a try as the connection via IE was working very well up until last week.

007al 00:27 14 Apr 06

Do you have the words `about:blank` coming up in the bottom left of the page thats loading?

Black66 00:50 14 Apr 06

No - just a prolonged "Opening page http......"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…