Unknown PC error - crashes at log-in.

Dave=Lord 22:25 20 Feb 08

Few days ago when I tried to sign into windows (XP pro), it froze and then went black until i restarted. After a few restarts I eventually got this error message:

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC000001D, 0Xbv80C9C4, 0xB80C975C, 0x00000000)

win32k.sys - Address BF80C9C4 base at BF800000, Datestamp 45F013F6.

I can start in safe-mode, but when I go to system restore there is graphically no calendar or save points :(

My dissertation and a stupid amount of music is on my PC, please tell me I can fix it :)

Cheers for any help,

Dave.

brundle 22:37 20 Feb 08

Can you access eventviewer in safe mode? Start menu/run, type

eventvwr.msc

Look for yellow or red flagged items. What do you see?

What AV, firewall, antispyware do you use? Have you run a disk check? click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:43 20 Feb 08

Driver fault,
the event viewer will tell you which driver but probably updating or reinstalling the graphics driver is the best bet.

Joe R 22:47 20 Feb 08

This link may help. click here

woodchip 22:55 20 Feb 08

Go to Start\Run type MSCONFIG press enter key Go to startup tab write down all box's with a tick Remove ticks for all other than AV and Firewall Try normal startup. If it starts try System Restore. If that does not work go mack to the above and put one item back at a time and restart to test

Dave=Lord 19:46 27 Feb 08

Update:

None of the above worked :( and infact it wont start in safe mode now. Took it to PCworld, who were shit, said they would just reset everything. So instead am going to get a caddy and see if I can access my hard drive on someone elses PC. Then i will re-install windows myself, instead of giving PC world £70 to do it for me >< !

Thanks for all your ideas tho :)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:53 27 Feb 08

If you have an XP CD then do a repair install. Will not overwrite your data files only system files.

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

Dave=Lord 14:26 28 Feb 08

Cheers, I shall try that tonight :)

Is it certain that my data files will not be lost during this ?!

Dave=Lord 20:27 10 Mar 08

Got my caddy and plugged my hard drive into a mates PC. It registered, wonderful, but it wont let me access my profile with the files I want to get at on !! :( Anyone got any suggestions of how i can access them ? tried admin login on safe mode and have tried booting windows off my HD, leads to a BSOD.

The error I get when I try to access my profile (in documents and settings) can be seen in this screenie:

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:57 10 Mar 08

Access Files
If you get Access Denied in WinXP Pro. Try “taking ownership” of the file/folder before it can be accessed. First of all go to Folder Options, View Tab and in the Advanced Settings at the end, untick “Use simple file sharing”, which will allow the Security Tab to be shown in the file’s properties. Also, in Folder options, make sure hidden and system files can be viewed.
To take ownership of the file (it’s best done at the folder level), right-click it, Properties, Security Tab, add your user name, fill in all the permissions and Apply. You can now access it.
click here

Access Files XP Home
Simple file sharing is enabled by default in XP Home
Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has administrative credentials. If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.
or
click here
or
click here and click on the link at part one and download the required program.
Follow the instructions and the security tab will be enabled. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY OR YOU COULD DENY ACCESS TO ALL YOUR FILES.

Dave=Lord 18:37 11 Mar 08

Yea, i had tried that but did not work :(

So, i just went for the Repair Install as suggested by Fruit Bat, and it solved it ! Although not everything works, think ima have to reinstall office etc again aswell. When I was doing the repair install though it came up with loads of files that couldnt be copied :S

Thanks alot though :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…