unknown partition on Sony Viaio

johnpalmer 11:35 27 Feb 08

A friend of mine, who is virtually computer illiterate has bought a new laptop, but I have noticed that the hard drive is partitioned. He doesn't even know what it means, and insists it has not been touched by anyone since he bought it.

It is split into C: and D: drives with virtually zero contents in drive D:

With such a huge waste of space (almost 50%), can the partition be removed, and what little contents there is, moved into the C: drive without any problems, and would its performance be improved.

Technotiger 11:37 27 Feb 08

It is probably a Restore Partition - I don't think it should be removed.

bremner 11:53 27 Feb 08

It is unlikely to be a restore partition as they are usually hidden from the user.

Many manufacturers including Sony and Acer provide partitioned hard dives.

Your friend should check his User Manual and that should confirm that it is just a partitioned drive. If he wants to merge it with the C drive then a product such as Partition Magic will do the job.

NJ4959 12:48 27 Feb 08

My brother bought an Acer latop last year, and the hard drive came with a C and D drive. It also had a recovery partition which was hidden (unless you know where to look!). I set it up for him, and the D drive is used for his data files, pictures, music etc. The general consensus is that data files should be kept separate from the the operating system files. This also makes a backup of of the data files easier. I also intend to move the recovery partition files to DVDRs (Acer provide a facility for doing this) which will free up hard drive space, and ensure that the recovery files are not lost if the hard drive dies.

rawprawn 14:37 27 Feb 08

I have a Sony Vaio, It has a 9.5gb Restore Partition with no drive letter. Look at it in Admin Tools/Computer Management? Disk Management and see what it says.
Are you sure that Drive D: is not your Printer connection?

xania 14:40 27 Feb 08

I agree with NJ4959. Keep the C:\ partition for programmes etc and the D:\ partition (D for Data) for everything that you create. Point <My Documents> at the D:\ drive as well. Unfortunately, you cannot store Documents& Settings on the D:\ drive, but you should copy this folder to the D:\ drive before running your back-ups.

crosstrainer 14:41 27 Feb 08

This is a restore partition, most laptop's and many PC's come with their drives configured this way...Tell your friend to leave it "as is" It is there to enable him to restore the computer should he encounter any problems in the future.

Chas49 15:49 27 Feb 08

johnpalmer:

I have a HP Desktop, this too was divided into two partitions. However the split in my is not a 50/50 one. The small partition (10.3 gigs) contains the recovery files. these are hidden and the folder containing them clearly warns you not to delete and why. However, there is no reason why you can't use the free space for your data and the like - it's not necessary for you to interfere with the partitioning at all really.

bremner 19:49 27 Feb 08

Restore a partitions are hidden and can only be seen in Disk Management and are listed with no drive letter.

In this instance the partition is the D volume and is therefore almost certainly NOT a restore partition.

See rawprawn posting above

crosstrainer 06:02 28 Feb 08

All Acer laptop restore partitions appear as normal in my computer and disk management. As do Iqon and many others.

ened 06:35 28 Feb 08

We have a new Dell Laptop and the Restore Partition is fully visible.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…