unknown operating system

spider645e 11:25 16 Jan 04

hi, my computer is running windows me.it crashes a lot. i ran a check with pcpitstop.it says i have an unknown operating system. it also says:browser detected microsoft internet explorer version6. slow boot up and computer crashes a lot. can anyone help me with this please?

Indigo 1 12:10 16 Jan 04

Have you tried anything else like defragment ?

Your main problem is you are using ME . Sorry but it just won't work very well on some systems and there's not a lot you can do about it, or rather no matter how much you try it will always give you problems with some setups.

There is nothing wrong with IE version 6 it's the updated version.

Have you been using Windows automatic updates ? They can be troublesome with ME.

You could try BigFix available from click here to update you system with the necessary patches.

bof:) 12:27 16 Jan 04

spider645e

have you tried running a scandisk and also checking to see how much un unused space you have on your hard drive. Have you got a lot of programs running when your PC starts up?

Mike

Indigo 1 21:23 18 Jan 04

Check this out click here it might be worth a read.

Also click here

If all else fails and you can't justify spending over £80 on a new O/S you could always try a free O/S like Linux but that might be just a bit too involved for most.

woodchip 21:34 18 Jan 04

You could download a Win98se oem Boot disc from click here put a clean floppy in drive then double click the download to create the boot floppy, start comp with disc, at A:\>
type FDISK/MBR and press enter it should looke like this

A:\>FDISK/MBR then try restart of computer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…