unknown operating system

spider645e 11:25 16 Jan 04

hi, my computer is running windows me.it crashes a lot. i ran a check with pcpitstop.it says i have an unknown operating system. it also says:browser detected microsoft internet explorer version6. slow boot up and computer crashes a lot. can anyone help me with this please?

Indigo 1 12:10 16 Jan 04

Have you tried anything else like defragment ?

Your main problem is you are using ME . Sorry but it just won't work very well on some systems and there's not a lot you can do about it, or rather no matter how much you try it will always give you problems with some setups.

There is nothing wrong with IE version 6 it's the updated version.

Have you been using Windows automatic updates ? They can be troublesome with ME.

You could try BigFix available from click here to update you system with the necessary patches.

bof:) 12:27 16 Jan 04

spider645e

have you tried running a scandisk and also checking to see how much un unused space you have on your hard drive. Have you got a lot of programs running when your PC starts up?

Mike

Indigo 1 21:23 18 Jan 04

Check this out click here it might be worth a read.

Also click here

If all else fails and you can't justify spending over £80 on a new O/S you could always try a free O/S like Linux but that might be just a bit too involved for most.

woodchip 21:34 18 Jan 04

You could download a Win98se oem Boot disc from click here put a clean floppy in drive then double click the download to create the boot floppy, start comp with disc, at A:\>
type FDISK/MBR and press enter it should looke like this

A:\>FDISK/MBR then try restart of computer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…