unknown folder

grumpano 17:44 22 Jun 04

I have just noticed a new folder in my documents folder, called my webs folder. In this i have found botwfs speed dial 1kbs, fpd6w bots speed dial 1kbs, sorvilles speed dial 1 kbs,.
Can anybody tell me what this is ?

rawprawn 17:51 22 Jun 04

Run Spybot & Ad-aware, see if they find anything.

Diemmess 18:02 22 Jun 04

Try renaming your folder to something different which you can recognise again.

If after a week or so nothing is screaming for this, then you can almost certaily delete it.

grumpano 18:08 22 Jun 04

If i rename the folder, will the program not be able to find it ?

grumpano 18:11 22 Jun 04

Would it not be easier to send it to the recycle bin and see if alls well after a time ?

Diemmess 18:24 22 Jun 04

Most times a small difference in the name is enough to prevent it being called into use.
Putting it in the recycle bin is one way, but risks losing it for ever if you empty the bin without thinking and then find it was "ligit".

There is just the suspicion in my mind that it could be a trojan dialler, If it is, a scan with your AV software or as rawprawn suggested, Spybot or equivalent should show it up.

grumpano 18:28 22 Jun 04

I have scanned with Norton and spybot to no avail. I think it is a dialer, as i was on a site the other night when a file started to download on its own. I stopped the download before it could complete, i think this is what this could be. But not sure

Diemmess 18:36 22 Jun 04

All my contributions are delicately based on guesswork, hearsay and a very little personal experience.

From what you have done it seems to be one of those things you can best "lose."

Run the windows "find" file and see if there is any more of this anywhere. Then I would rename both the folder and all within it,(keep a written record of the changes) cross your fingers and when after say a couple of weeks there is no sign of a legitimate demand - delete all!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…