Unknown files

PvG 11:31 18 Aug 03

Can anyone tell me what:
cgi-bin (in the cookie folder)is or who is it from?
Why is there an index in the cookies folder that stays and I can't delete?
Information about Gator.com

Lozzy 12:01 18 Aug 03

Restart your computer then delete. Also it would be a good idea for you to get adware which deletes spyware.. click here

temp003 12:12 18 Aug 03

I do't think cgi-bin in the cookies folder is a problem. You can delete files in the cookies folder, except for those you want to keep.

The "index" is index.dat in its full name. You can't delete it while Windows is on. There's a script you can download which can delete things like that for you when Windows starts but before it's loaded.

Unless you've noticed something wrong with the index.dat file (and there are other index.dat files on your computer), you can leave it alone. Sometimes the index.dat files can get really big. If that happens, you can delete it.

Gator.com - not sure what you are asking. Do you suspect you've got something on your computer relating to Gator?

Gator itself is a program which remembers your passwords and so on. But it comes with other spyware which slowly downloads things on to your computer.

Sometimes you can still get Gator related spyware even though you have not installed Gator. Some freeware comes with Gator spyware. Click Start Programs and see if you have an entry called GAIN* (which gives you ads and pop-ups) You can only remove it if you remove the application that came with GAIN.

If you suspect you may have spyware, take Lozzy's advice and let Ad-Aware do it for you.

spikeychris 12:23 18 Aug 03

The common gateway interface (CGI) is a standard way for a Web server to pass a Web user's request to an application program. Have you just built a website?

Index.dat stores web browsing info, you can't delete it from within Windows. You can use batch files to empty the file and there are third party progs that will delete it, it will recreate at the next bootup.

Chris

spikeychris 12:25 18 Aug 03

temp003, had the page open too long and got distracted, posted before I read your excellent reply...

Chris

pj123 12:57 18 Aug 03

You can't delete index.dat files completely but I have written a batch file (with instructions) that will clean out the cookies folder and revert the index.dat file back to its default size (16kb) and it will also clean out the Temporary Internet Files and revert the index.dat file back to 32kb, and also the Windows\Temp file - all in one go. If you would like a copy email me. This does not work in XP because (as far as I know) there is not an option to "Restart in MSDos Mode"?

temp003 13:03 18 Aug 03

spikeychris, kind of you, but I might have been barking up the wrong tree again in my last post.

PvG, you may have been asking about Gator.com because you saw a cookie in your folders from gator.com

If that's all, then the fact that you have a cookie from the gator.com website does not necessarily mean you've got spyware from them. You may visited their site or a related site. If in doubt, let Adaware or Spybot scan your computer for spyware.

PvG 19:23 18 Aug 03

Many thanks to you all for your assistance.
I am already using AdAware. I was more concerned with Gator and what a friend ahd said about the Spyware and subsequent receipt of spam.
It is difficult to see what is just a genuine site "holding" my details for my next log-on and anothe who might use information for any number of unwanted third parties.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…