Unknown Driver problem

iscanut2 11:20 22 Oct 05

For some time now, my system intermittenly crashes and/or reboots. Crash Analysis tells me that " the following bootstart or system start driver(s) failed to load :vobiw. A look at Devices shows all connected hardware and drivers all behaving, with no yellow exclamation marks. I cannot find any driver, file or anything else with vobiw in its name etc and I am at a loss to find out how to rid myself of this driver, or sort it out. I am running Win XP Home with SP1, 1Gb Ram. Does anyone have any ideas ?

VoG II 11:26 22 Oct 05

iTunes?

Giggle n' Bits 11:30 22 Oct 05

go to the Apple website at click here

Update all your Apple programmes especially itunes and Quick Time as the older version is a bit buggie with XP and SP2

iscanut2 15:46 22 Oct 05

Thanks guys, but I have latest ITunes & Quick Time. Search in the registry points to vobiw as something to do with InstantWrite UDF File System driver and points to Image path \??\C:Windows\System32\Drivers\vobiw.sys. The question marks are odd !
I do not, however, have this file in this folder or anywhere on my drive. SFC Scannow does not have any effect so this does not seem to be a Windows driver. I cannot find where the system is trying to load this file. MSCONFIG does not show it in services or startup. Any more ideas ?

splork 16:09 22 Oct 05

see if this click here reveals anything

splork 16:13 22 Oct 05

Did you try removing the question marks in that part of the entry - i dont have or use itunes, but the UDF driver may be used to write music to an mp3 player in the right format. I take it you have looked in the folder it referenced for the file.
Post #20 here has a solution, if it's a particular hardware conflict click here

Otherwise look for it in services using MSConfig and disable it

iscanut2 20:10 22 Oct 05

Thanks, will give the program a try. As I said, nothing shows up in services via Msconfig. Also, there is no vobiw.sys file in the folder that the registry entry points to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…