"Unknown Disc" on reinstall, Dell 9100 Dimension

rods 21:47 22 Jun 06

Hi,

I have a restore disc which came with the computer (xp preinstalled). I have tried resinstalling and get as far as the blue screen which says, 'Create New Partition', 'Delete'...or 'Repair'.

Now below that (which should be your current Partitions) all that is listed is Unknown about 4 times in line.

About 4 months ago i did this no problem, reinstalled the whole computer fine, but am baffled as to why i now cant reinstall.

If anyone can help so i can reinstall xp, would be very greatfull.

Spec:-

Dell Dimension 9100
XP Home
1 gig DDR
Pentium 4 3.6 HT
Nvida 7800 OC G.Card.

Thanks for your time.

woodchip 21:52 22 Jun 06

As partitions been changed? files deleted etc?

rods 21:54 22 Jun 06

Not as what i know.

I have just gone to reinstall and that is what it says..unknown disc

woodchip 21:58 22 Jun 06

Did you boot with the CD in comp?

rods 22:00 22 Jun 06

Yeah Woodchip, i set the CD drive as first boot, click 'any button' to boot from cd, Loaded a load of files then reached that blue screen to install

namtas 22:32 22 Jun 06

You should have a DELL PC recovery Icon with the 9100 if it not showing it is here

"C:\dell\Dell Support Documents\PC_Recovery\1092188.htm"

It may help to resolve your problem.

And you will be aware that DELL have provided a seperate windows XP install disk for you, which you have to create seperately.

woodchip 22:34 22 Jun 06

Icon's are only shortcuts to programs

rods 22:42 22 Jun 06

Am confused, all thats in there NAMTAS is an icon of what you say and just opens up as a picture.

The only other folder there is Drivers.

Thanks for the input there woodchip????

woodchip 22:44 22 Jun 06

Did you try Repair as that's the one I would go for?

rods 22:46 22 Jun 06

I didnt no, ive just tried again and now i cant even select any option, just stalls..aggghhhh!!

rods 22:47 22 Jun 06

just to add i did a system restore earlyier..which worked, but i still need to resinstall..which dont work!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…