Unknown devices in device manager

Randum Ian 09:52 07 Oct 03

Hi all, just a quick question and it just deserves a quick answer! :o) I have got a couple of items in my Device Manager that have a yellow question mark after a recent re-install of XP but I don't have any driver disks for them. Is there a program that I can run that would tell me what these devices are so I can download a driver off the net for them?

Cheers, Ian.

MichelleC 10:09 07 Oct 03

Does it not say under 'device type'?

Gongoozler 10:10 07 Oct 03

There is this software click here

There is also this Microsoft KnowledgeBase article click here (I bet that link gets corrupted though)

Randum Ian 10:14 07 Oct 03

Hi guys thanks for the replies. MichelleC, I need the driver and device name it tells me the type ie "PCI Modem" but I need to know which PCI Modem it is so I can download the correct driver. Gongoozler, thanks for that I will check them out now. Cheers! ;o)

MichelleC 10:26 07 Oct 03

Cool utility, thanks Gongoozler.

PA28 11:24 07 Oct 03

Quickest way to find out what PCI modem you have is to either look in System Information, or to whip the case off and have a look at the card (alternatively, your old driver disk should tell you). In any event, you'll probably have to load a generic XP modem driver - pick the blandest possible) in order to download anything on your own machine (I presume you are using a second machine to access this forum?).

Gongoozler 12:35 07 Oct 03

Often it's not obvious what make a modem is from the card, but you can sometimes tell by looking at the chip. For example the chip may be made by Connexant and that may have a part number on it such as cxt1033. You can then download the driver for that chip.

Randum Ian 13:02 07 Oct 03

No I am actually at work and the other machine in question is a laptop so I don't want to start ripping my friend's laptop to bits! That software Gongoozler showed me looks very good, I just need to get it on at home and try it out. It's not just the modem there are two more - one is sound but that is AC 97 I am sure then there is a network adapter which I need to suss out. Hoo hum! :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…