'Unknown Device' error - HELP!

Matley 19:57 05 Sep 06

Hey all,

I've recently bought a new HP Photosmart 8250 printer and it's a great piece of machinary for the price it was bought for (£45). It was working fine for a while until my computer's USB devices started to play up.

It seems that the computer will not allow USB devices now, apart from the mouse which seems to work perfectly fine.

Each device I have attached to the computer (Printer, PSP and External HHD) comes up as 'Unknown Device'.

So I've tried uninstalling the device drivers, uninstalling USB 2.0 drivers, restarting the computer a million times and yet no advances.

Any ideas?
Dan

howard63 20:50 05 Sep 06

you do not say what os you are using? assuming it is xp have you got sp2 onboard? in device manager have you got any yellow marks by the usb root? You could try running your mobo cd to reinstall the utilities or go to the makers site.

Matley 20:55 05 Sep 06

Sorry, yes it is XP and yes I have Service Pack 2 also. There is no yellow markers to signify a driver issue. You see I would think that the USB ports have packed up but the mouse works fine so surely that cancels that out.

howard63 21:03 05 Sep 06

the simplest thing to try would be to go to device manager and uninstall the usb root etc and then reboot - with luck it will be reinstalled and all will be well.

skidzy 21:30 05 Sep 06

This is also worth a try if no joy from Howards suggestion

Sun, [email protected]:15
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…