Unknown AVG file - Can I delete?

Tenacious Green 21:05 11 Nov 04

I have discovered after the Download of AVG 7 Free, that in C drive isolated from everything else I have a dat file called AVG7QT which when opened is in notepad form and just says 'AVG Quick Test'

Why is it there? Why is it not in the Grisoft folder with Program files? Can I delete it?

Hopefully the last issue I have with AVG 7!

woodt 21:51 11 Nov 04

Why not just rename it by adding 'old' to the end of the file name. That way if it is needed you can just rename it back to what it was.

Dan the Confused 21:55 11 Nov 04

It's not uncommon for unknown files to appear in the root directory after installing new software. I doubt it is important but I always just leave them there to be on the safe side. If you want to delete it then do, but keep it in the recycle bin until you are sure it doesn't effect your system.

Incidentally, I have it too.

Djohn 22:04 11 Nov 04

I deleted mine with no problems.

dagwoood 22:16 11 Nov 04

I wandered why this file appeared as well.

Found this on the AVG forum click here

According to that, if you delete it, it will reappear the next time you do a scan and the scan will take longer.

dagwoood.

Djohn 22:22 11 Nov 04

The first two scans both took 26 minutes compered with 12 minutes on version 6 and I still can't fix the problem of the "Scanned with AVG...." message not appearing in outlook 2003" It works with express but in outlook it appears as an attachment! :o(

dagwoood 22:29 11 Nov 04

You haven't set it to scan all files have you?

I set it to this and the scan took a lot longer than AVG6. I then changed it to only scan infectable files and it scans quicker than AVG6.

Hope I'm not teaching my gran to suck eggs :0)

dagwoood.

Tenacious Green 22:30 11 Nov 04

Don't know about you, but files like these that just appear in random places (well it seems like it to me) get on my nerves. Why do they not just go somewhere together in their own little folder nice and neat and tidy?

I'm catching my wifes cleaning obsession only with computers!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac