Unknown application

Stroller 15:46 23 Mar 04

A small application has appeared in 'C:Windows' called "SYSCFG16", 37 KB in size. Zone Alarm drew my attention to it as it tried to gain access to the internet.
The date and time in the properties window seem to show it appeared as I read my emails after I got home from work.
Also another two files have appeared, "ir0xya32" and "IR0XYA32.EXE-0843F149" at the same time.
I read one of the files using Notepad, and it has some four letter words and other rude comments.

I run Win XP Pro, use AVG, and Zone Alarm (Free Version), I did not open any attachments in my email, (any mail with an attachment is directed to a seperate folder in OE), so how do these get into the PC?

After problems last weekend I re-installed XP Pro yesterday, and have all the latest updates from MS and AVG.
any help /advice appreciated.

Valvegrid 17:38 23 Mar 04

It could be a dialer that you may have pick up off a web site, try running these two programs, they both compliment each other, if one doesn't find anything, the other will.

click here

click here

Stroller 19:41 23 Mar 04

Many thanks, Valvegrid,

I have rerun AVG, and Trend Housecall, and have now deleted six files declared as 'Worms' by Housecall, and two virus found by AVG.

I have never had a serious virus attack before, though AVG and Zone Alarm have told me of possibles in the past. I think that these files may have sneaked in while I was downloading new AVG, Zone alarm files and updates for XP after the re-install.

Many thanks, Stroller

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…