University IT Courses

Macro Kid - (Java script) 22:28 23 May 03

Hi all,
Sorry if this is kinda off topic.

I will be going to Uni in 2004 and wish to study IT, either generally or programming specifically. So does anyone who has been to Uni recently have suggestions of good universities or courses to look at.

Thanks in Advance

Peter N

Sir Radfordin™ 22:58 23 May 03

You need to spend time doing your own research. There is more to University than the content of the course.

You could go to cambridge and have a wonderful degree but no-one will employ you because its largely theory.

Visit click here as a starting point, you may also like to consider click here as another source of information.

Speak to your careers people at school (or college) and find out if your school goes to a UCAS Convention - if so make sure you go along.

You can't submit an application for 2004 entry till the 1st Sept anyway, so you've plenty of time to consider your options.

Forum Editor 23:10 23 May 03

of good university courses out there, and Sir Radfordin™ is giving you sound advice. For what it's worth I suggest that you take an extra good look at two universities and they are: Sunderland and Nottingham.

Mysticnas 00:17 24 May 03

are not very good by my experience as well otherfriend experiences.

as they are govt run they tend to steer u toward certain courses. For example, when i was at school doing my GCSE's they tried to steer me away from wanting to do A-Levels, to making me want to do a GNVQ. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a GNVQ, just that most people who've tried to get into uni with a GNVQ have had to have at least one A-Level as well. I checked round before i chose what i wanted to do, and most uni's wanted Distinctions at GNVW plus a B at A-level.

Annnyway... back to the post...

You really have to narrow it down a little more as opposed to general IT or programming. There's a lot of courses that involve computing around now. The best way to do this is to sit down and make a note of all the things you're interested in. Then make a list of all those things, and pick out the ones that you think you can see yourself doing 10years from now. highlight those things.

Go on the internet browse the net and do some research about all those things on the list, pay particular attention to the ones you highlighted.
This is so you find out more about what you THINK you like. I've emphasised THINK, i'll explain why soon. Then once you think you know what kind of area you want to go into, go to click here and browse the links there.

go the uni websites, and find out about the courses you're interested in, phone up and try to email the tutors if you can to find out more detailed info on what you're infor on the courses.

Annnyway... what i meant about what you think you like was that i did phys/chem/bio at a-level then went to uni and did astrophysics for one year, after which i decided it wasn't for me, then moved onto computer science which after the 2nd year i found very tiresome and boring. My bruv told me about how boring being a programmer is. I wanted to change courses, but i didn't want to waste 2yrs of Computer science, so i graduated from that last year, and now i'm doing a more media related IT degree, 3D modelling/animation etc...

It's taken me 4yrs of faffing to find what i really want to do, maybe it was just me, but you should make sure you do something cuz you really like it otherwise you'll be bored and come out with average grades. I only got a 2.1 for CS, but i've been getting around 90%+ in all my hand ins on this course, thats cuz i enjoy what i do.

Nas

Sir Radfordin™ 07:21 24 May 03

Not all careers advisors are paid by the government, and anyway, the government is keen to widen entry into higher education so careers advisors are much more likely to provide the best advise on how to get there.

Ever considered there may have been a valid reason for them suggesting you do A-levels? Had I taken the GNVQ route I am sure I would have ended up with a higher grade than by doing 3 A-levels, but I would have closed more doors. In education you are making a choice about something a long time in the future so its best to keep as many options as you can open to you.

I'll say again, that the actual course content isn't always the most important thing! Location of the Uni and style of the couse play a big part. Some offer more flexibility than others - running a common first year for most computer subjects and then only in the 2nd and 3rd year do you go to specific subjects. By doing that you can change course should, like Mysticnas, you find you made the wrong choice.

I wouldn't look just for a couse that does programming. Look for something that has an element of business to it as well. Anyone can learn to program its just a language but people who can understand the needs of a business and then build a progam to suit are much harder to find.

Sir Radfordin™ 07:23 24 May 03

the UCAS website (click here) is likely to be down most of the weekend due to essential safety testing of the electrical supply and equipment.

Taran 11:33 24 May 03

Just one thought from me.

Most colleges/universities do taster sessions where you can drop in after expressing interest in or registering for a course to meet the tutor(s) involved and run through a sample lesson. This can go a very long way towards helping you make up your mind whether certain fields have any appeal or not.

You seem to asking which courses to do as well as for possible venues to study them. You need to find your preferred path yourself and although guidance can help, you have to make the choices about whether you'd prefer one facet of IT over another.

Mysticnas 18:34 24 May 03

i think you misread my post, they careers told me to do a GNVQ and kept pestering me to do it, they made A-Levels sound as if they were not going to be of any use any more as uni's are looking more at GNVQ's.

I chose to do A-Levels, which i'm glad i did.

Most CAS in schools and colleges are govt run i would imagine.

Sir Radfordin™ 18:51 24 May 03

Appolgies, your right I did misread the post! Thats the problem with getting up at 6.45am to go to work to shut some computers down!

recap 21:28 24 May 03

Mysticnas, 'A' levels are going by the way side soon I have been told, so doing something like an GNVQ or higher would be more appropriate.

click here Teesside University do do what are called UCPD courses (University Certificate Personal Diplomas), these diplomas can be accessed by anybody. You have to do a certain number of these to go towards a degree. There are choices of IT courses to do from the basic Office packages up to programming. This is my local University, I have learners coming in to the centres I manage doing some of these courses. One of my assistants is going to start a Web design (Jarva)course through one of these UCPD's.

The next link is for Sunderland Uni. I attended an off shot of this Uni to do some tracks of MCSE W2K server. If the turors I had there are any thing to go by in a way of a recommendation then I would certainly recommend the full University. The tutors there were and still are excellent in what they do even after doing the courses they still give me support when I am really desperate for it. I can't praise them enough!!!

click here

Unfortunately I have not been to Nottingham for some years now, so I cannot give any references only that what the FE has said.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…