universal HDD test prog

iqs 17:16 28 Jun 08

Hello,

I'm after a piece of software which is universal with regards to testing the various makes of HDD that are available,and free ;-)

Cheers

Pamy 17:23 28 Jun 08

there may be ,but I think it much better to get the manufactures one for their disk ,not a problem to go to thir site and download

daba 22:06 28 Jun 08

Your PCs BIOS and Windows itself do a fair amount of testing.

And modern drives have in-built systems that will warn of impending problems [S.M.A.R.T.]

What level of "testing" are you needing ?

iqs 09:27 29 Jun 08

I'm not sure of the make of HDD,until I check it.I wanted to go prepared when I check my mates PC.

The basic tests,copy/read etc etc.

Thanks Pamy and daba

brundle 09:33 29 Jun 08

Hitachi's one works with quite a few other makes.
click here

iqs 22:53 30 Jun 08

brundle for the link,cheers

woodchip 22:54 30 Jun 08

So how are you going to use the program? without buying the discs

woodchip 22:56 30 Jun 08

So how are you going to use the program? without buying the discs

"Seagate Seatools" as a Generic scanner if you just want to test the disc you have

iqs 17:31 02 Jul 08

woodchip,can you please explain 'So how are you going to use the program? without buying the discs'.Not to sure what you mean.
I have a Seagate HDD,and have their scanner,but I used a WD scanner on Samsung HDD,it didn't like it.
Hence the universal scanner.

Cheers

woodchip 18:36 02 Jul 08

You need Seagate Seatools, click here

You need to run it from a Floppy disc, put a floppy in the drive and double on the seatools after you have downloaded it. This will create a Boot Floppy that you can boot the computer and test your drive. You need to change the boot order so that floppy is set to first boot device in BIOS followed by the Hard Drive

MarvintheAndroid 21:27 02 Jul 08

You can get a small proggy called Smart Explorer by Adenix, this makes the HDD's built in SMART records visible and gives an indication of whether the drive has a history of errors and has become degraded.

click here

I haven't used it, but I use its predecessor Smart Indicator which has sadly been discontinued. You do need to install it though, which is no good if you can't boot.

Marv

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac