Universal Disk Format - how?

javaBalls 13:14 31 Aug 05

In a recent issue of PC Advisor there was an article about XP tweak programs. They were included in the cover disk.

The program that I'm interested in is the backup program. I tried to backup my data onto a CD. However the article says that the disks must be formatted using the new method of 'Universal Disk Format'. How can I format my disks using this new method?

And while I'm on the topic, is it a good idea to back up my files to CD-RW disks?

pj123 13:34 31 Aug 05

Last part first: No, not a good idea to backup to CD-RW. CD-RW is not very stable. OK for temporary files but not crucial data.

The latest version of Nero 6.6.0.16 has a module called Back it up which I now use to back up complete hard disks to DVD. It will also back up to CDs if you don't have a DVD burner.

What (recent issue) PCA was this article in?

javaBalls 19:25 31 Aug 05

Thanks for your response. The article is in Issue 121 page 165. The back up tool is called SyncBack.

I don't seem to have that module installed on my version of Nero (6.0.0.9). Although there is an option called UDF - maybe this will do the trick.

pj123 - I suppose DVD-RW will be just as unstable for back ups? Is RW media considered to be less stable becasue it's being rewritten over time and time again?

The CDs were meant ot be a second back up. My first back up is on a networked drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:35 31 Aug 05

RW disc reflect less light than R discs, this makes them harder to read and therefore more likely to fail sooner.

javaBalls 21:27 31 Aug 05

thanks for the response on RW disks.

Back to my orignal question - hiw can I format my disks in the new 'Universal Disk Format'?

I'm not sure that my version of Nero will allow this.

javaBalls 12:54 01 Sep 05

bump ^

dave_and_confused 12:59 01 Sep 05

click here

5. WRITING & USING UDF FORMAT DISKS IN WINDOWS XP

pj123 14:27 01 Sep 05

First of all you need to go to click here and download the latest version of Nero (6.6.0.16) there are two updates on there both about 35mb each so if you are on dialup it will take a while.

I have both updates on my hard drive which I can put on to a CD and post out to you if you want. Just email me your address.

Second, there is no need to format disks. I never format any CD or DVD.

I am digging out my issue 121 and will give it a read.

javaBalls 15:24 05 Sep 05

first of all sorry for the late response.

dave_and_confused - thanks for the link on UDF. I don't think that I'll need to do this now as I do not want to back up onto CD-RW.

pj123 - thanks for the offer but I've got broadband so I will download it myself.

As for SyncBack I think I'll ditch it and just use to inbuilt backup facility in Win XP pro.

Cheers

trumph 16:38 23 Nov 05

Noticed someone suggested Nero BackItUp. From my experience I would say DON'T use it. I tried to use it for scheduled incremental backups. My basic backup was on 3 disks. When the scheduled backup ran it asked for disk1. This was immediately rejected with a request to ---- insert disk1. After a few tries I inserted disk3. The writer whirred and flashed for a few minutes then ejected. No progress bar and no acknowledgement that it had done anything. I contacted Nero Support who responded in pigeon english saying that from the date I supplied my new & changed files had been added to disk3. I asked again why it asks for disk 1 and gives no progress or acknowledgement of what it has done. After several unanswered e-mails I have decided to bin Nero. It may get good reviews but to my mind, if they can't answer basic questions then it is useless.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…