Uninstalling ZoneAlarm due to taskbar lockup

TommyRed 19:52 04 Sep 03

I'm sure my problems withe taskbar & systray locking up are due to ZoneAlarm. A few pointers are heading in that direction plus it wont let me uninstall it. I get an error message which says "TrueVector Internet monitor was not uninstalled.
The uninstaller was not able to stop the TrueVector software services. This will happen if other software is using the TrueVector engine.
To uninstall ZoneAlarm make sure all other TrueVector based programs have been closed." So how should I go about uninstalling it, tried add/remove programs, didn't work same message. Any ideas? TR

christmascracker 19:54 04 Sep 03

Sorry if this sounds obvious but have you shut down Zone Alarm before trying to uninstall it?

Jester2K II 19:55 04 Sep 03

click here

Start here

powerless 19:58 04 Sep 03

Yes close it down if its open (if you can close it)

For full removal - Read this click here

Try starting the computer in safe mode and this will not load ZA and you should be able to remove it from within safe mode.

To start the computer iun safe keep tapping F8 when you start the computer. Then just select the safe mode from the menu.

TommyRed 20:47 04 Sep 03

Powerless, uninstalled it fine in 'safe mode' but now I get this black screen on boot up " Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows application.
The Windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.
If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program.
If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.
vsdata.vxd
How do I find which application was using this file to see if I have the disk? I had no disks with the PC all I've got is an image of the drive taken 2/3 weeks ago. TR

TommyRed 20:54 04 Sep 03

Powerless, that is a ZoneAlarm file so should be replaced when I re-install. Am going to re-install now so will post back if any problems. TR

powerless 21:47 04 Sep 03

ok.

Jester2K II 22:09 04 Sep 03

TommyRed - the instructions in the links Powerless and I gave you would have resolved that problem as it takes you through manually removing every trace of the program.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5