Uninstalling Zone Alarm - please help

Border View 18:25 02 May 03

I've just been looking into the process of uninstalling Zone Alarm and it scares me witless. I know nothing about the Registry and the thought of going into it and the fatal mistakes I could make worries me.

I have problems with Zone Alarm stem from when I updated it a few weeks ago. Last night when shutting down I received the message:

A fatal exception OE has occurred at 016F:BFF9DFFF press any key to terminate the current application. Press Cont. Alt. Delete again to restart your computer you will lose any unsaved information in all applications.

But I was only trying to shut down my computer.

Question: Is there a safe way of uninstalling Zone Alarm and then installing Sygate. Or do I try and resolve these BSOD.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Ironman556 18:37 02 May 03

I don't know about uninstalling zone alarm to put Sygate on, but if you're going into the registry, then before you do anything click file, export to save the current registry. I usually place backups on at the root of c: so they're easily accessible. You should be able to restor it by doubleclicking or right clicking and selecting merge.

Try Reg cleaner from click here it's easier to use than the windows one, and any keys you delete can be backed up.

Sorry I can't be of further use, good luck. And if you're unsure if a key is what it's meant to be, don't change or delete it. Any problems and post back, there should be someone who can help prettty speedily.

Ironman.

VoG™ 18:37 02 May 03

I think that you will need to edit the registry. It is not as difficult as it might sound.

Start, Run and enter REGEDIT

Before uou do anything else, File/Export and save a copy of the registry somewhere handy, like the desktop.

Then follow the instructions for uninstalling Zone Alarm. Do not touch anything else!

In the very unlikely event of something going wrong, double-click your saved copy to restore the registry to its previous settings.

VoG™ 18:38 02 May 03

Ironman556 18:39 02 May 03

"Question: Is there a safe way of uninstalling Zone Alarm and then installing Sygate."

Is there nothing listed under the add/remove programs for Zone alarm?

VoG™ 18:42 02 May 03

Uninstall ZoneAlarm click here

Border View 21:50 02 May 03

Many thanks everyone, especially VoG. Will let you know how I get on.

Border View 12:54 04 May 03

Computer seems to have settled down for the time being so I have'nt done anything. Zone Alarm is still in situ. If problems return, I shall bite the bullet.

Thank you for your advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…