Uninstalling WinXP HE SP2

badgermansix 06:11 21 Jul 06

How do you uninstall WinXP HE SP2 please?

Diodorus Siculus 08:12 21 Jul 06

What do you want to remove?

SP2?

XP?

You need to give a few more details.

If you have upgraded to XP over another OS, it may be possible to go back but it will depend on how you did the upgrade.

badgermansix 12:09 21 Jul 06

Diodorus Siculus, I want to remove everything, reformat the the drive and do a clean install.
It was a clean system before that.

terryf 12:20 21 Jul 06

Surely if you are going to do a clean install, winxp will wipe the hd for you. Just make sure that your bios is set to boot from the cd, insert the winxp disk and reboot Files will start to load from the CD to begin the installation. Eventually you’ll be asked if you want to install Windows XP. Just hit Enter.
Next is the End User License Agreement. Press F8 to accept.
The next screen displays the available partitions where XP can be installed. Select the one you want and tap that Enter key again to move on to the screen where you select a file system. The preferred choice is NTFS

Diodorus Siculus 13:06 21 Jul 06

Windows XP Home Install, Reinstall, upgrade, parallel install, and compatibility
click here

badgermansix 14:13 22 Jul 06

terryf, I have tried altering the BIOS but the restart will not pick up the CD, I have to go into My Computer and start the WinXP disk manuall, at the end of which I am told that I cannot uninstill this particular configuration (or something similar to that).
Diodorus Siculus, Thank you, I will have a look at during the coming week.

DieSse 15:33 22 Jul 06

On most systems booting from a CD is never automatic - you need to press a key when the message comes on the screen - "Press any key to boot from CD .."

Unfortunately many branded systems hide these boot up messages - so you need to go into the BIOS and change the settings so you see all the booting messages - OR - during the boot process just keep pressing the spacerbar and hope to catch it at the correct time.

Hope this sheds some light ...

VoG II 15:35 22 Jul 06

Alternatively, start with a set of 6 set-up floppies click here

badgermansix 08:23 23 Jul 06

Thank you both, I will have a go at this.

badgermansix 21:58 24 Jul 06

VoG™, I did that o.k. thanks.
DieSse, My Bios drive sequence is set as follow, A drive, HD, LS21(being my dvd/r r/w), changing A to LS21 still will not pick up the dvd/r r/w.

Through frustration, I uninstalled SP2, and reinstalled WinXP and then SP2 again, this seems to have resolved a couple of irritating problems that I was having, so I am now quite happy (at the moment).

Thanks again everyone.

LS21(?)

DieSse 22:23 24 Jul 06

I'm not sure that LS21 is a CD or DVD drive - I think it may be an unusual optical floppy that can hold 120MB. The correct number for this is an LS-120 drive. Seems suspiciously similar to me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…