uninstalling windows xp

Modac 16:11 08 Aug 03

please how do I uninstall windows xp home edition? I've got the service pack 1, with which I repaired the installation but norton cannot be uninstalled 'cos it insists on having a supervisor to do this and I can't sign on to my msn sites. This started since norton has been malfunctioning.

I want to uninstall windows xp and reinstall a fresh one without a partition which is what may be the case if the previous installatiion is not uninstalled

Jester2K II 16:15 08 Aug 03

I believe if you make the CD Drive your bootable drive in the BIOS and then put your CD in the drive, you can format and reinstall using the CD. It even takes your through the process.

Simple as that.

However wouldn't it be better to fix the real problem?????

First Norton what? What version?

"norton has been malfunctioning" whats been happening? Error message etc please.

To get proper Administaror right you need to boot into Safe Mode and choose Administrator from the log in screen.

Modac 16:43 08 Aug 03

norton 2002 norton internet security, despite assessing it in the safe mmode it still restricts my access saying only supervisor can be allowed.

Jester2K II 16:45 08 Aug 03

Did you go into your account or the "Supervisor" account in Safe Mode??

Modac 16:49 08 Aug 03

supervisor account

JIM 16:52 08 Aug 03

have a look at the following.

Error: "Access denied. Only the supervisor can view/change the options"

Situation:
When you try to access your Symantec desktop Internet security or firewall product, you see the following error message: "Access denied. Only the supervisor can view/change the options."

Solution:
To modify or change Norton Internet Security (NIS) settings, you must have NIS Supervisor rights. If your account is set to any other account level, such as Adult, Teenager, or Child, NIS does not allow you to make any changes.

If you are the NIS Supervisor, someone with NIS Supervisor rights, or you encounter this problem while using Norton Personal Firewall, see the document Norton Personal Firewall or Norton Internet Security unexpectedly prompts for a supervisor password to fix this problem.

click here=

How to uninstall Norton Internet Security or Personal Firewall using the Rnis.exe removal utility

Situation:
When you uninstalled Norton Internet Security (NIS) or Norton Personal Firewall (NPF) through Windows Programs list or Add/Remove Programs, the process failed. You want to use the Symantec Rnis.exe removal tool to uninstall NIS or NPF.

Solution:
This document provides the latest version of the Rnis.exe file and the instructions for using it. This document applies to all versions of Norton Internet Security and Norton Personal Firewall.

Rnis.exe is a utility that removes the program files and registry entries installed by Norton Internet Security (NIS) or Norton Personal Firewall (NPF). Use this utility only if you cannot uninstall through Windows Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall option from the Start Menu.

To use the Rnis.exe removal utility, download the attached Rnis.exe file to your computer, find the file in Windows Explorer, and then double-click the file name to run the file.

To obtain and use the Rnis.exe utility:

click here=

alcudia 17:00 08 Aug 03

If you wish to reformat do the following. First make sure that the CD drive is set as first boot in the bios. Insert your XP disc and restart. When prompted at the bottom of the screen hit the space bar to boot from CD. Windows setup will appear on a blue screen. Allow this to run as files load at bottom of screen. When prompted press enter (return) to setup Windows XP. Press F8 to accept agreement. Press Esc to install a fresh copy of Windows. From the options at the bottom of the screen press D to delete the partition and return to confirm. Press L to activate the deletion. At the next screen press C to create a new partition. You should be able to accept the size. Press enter (return) to setup WinXP. If you are given the option choose a file system. (Fat32 or NTFS) Your drive will be reformatted after which more files will be copied. The machine will restart and XP will install. Ignore any further prompts to boot from CD. Only accept the first as mentioned above. Do not leave the machine as you will have to respond to numerous prompts, language etc. during the process.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…