Uninstalling Windows 98

suburban train 10:52 15 Oct 03

Dear All

I want to completely remove Windows 98 from my parents computer and put Windows 2000 on. How do i fully remove it as it came pre-installed.

I have had a look on the net and all it says to remove Windows 98 from add/remove programs in windows control panel but windows 98 is not there.

Any ideas?

Cheers

expertec 10:58 15 Oct 03

You would have to boot into DOS and format the drive from there, this will completely remove everything form the drive so if there is any data they want to keep,they'll have to back it up first

Lozzy 10:59 15 Oct 03

First set your BIOS to 1st boot sequence from the CD Rom.

Then boot the PC to ms dos mode and at the C prompt type CD.. (2 dots) return you should then see C:/>

Now type format C: hit return then Y to continue.. Once it has formatted your hard drive insert the win 2000 CD and re boot then follow the on screen instructions to install..

expertec 11:00 15 Oct 03

Is it partitioned as a single drive?

Lozzy 11:00 15 Oct 03

I omitted BACK UP YOUR DATA

suburban train 12:07 15 Oct 03

I dont understand partitioning, basically it was bought with windows 98 preloaded and i have not messed about with the drive setting.

Forgot to mention i have Windows 2000 bootdiscs.

So can i just boot in to MS-DOS format C drive

restart and put in the bootdisk and install from there?

expertec 12:15 15 Oct 03

That's right

woodchip 14:13 15 Oct 03

They will also lose there programs if they do not have the discs to put em back

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…