Uninstalling windows 2000

Alien463 21:02 19 Mar 03

Hello, i have recently installed windows 2000 and now have WINDOWS 2000 WITH A DUAL BOOT WITH WINDOWS 9X.

However, I want to uninstall windows 2000 without affecting my windows ME configuration or files.

Can anybody provide me with a step- by step method of uninstalling windows 2000?

Thanks in advance,

Alien463

AndySD 21:29 19 Mar 03

Is 2000 on its own Drive/Partition and is the partition NTFS or FAT32?

temp003 09:23 20 Mar 03

Presumably your reference to Windows 9x is Windows ME.

Is your Windows ME is on your C partition, and your Windows 2000 installed on a separate partition? And you created the dual boot using Windows 2000's own boot manager, without using third party software?

If so, prepare a Windows Me startup floppy. Restart the computer with floppy. At the A:> prompt, type "sys c:" without the quotation marks, and press Enter. You should then get a message "system transferred". Remove the floppy and restart the computer. You should boot straight into Windows Me, without the OS selection screen.

Once in Windows ME again, you can delete the Windows 2000 system files under your C drive. They are ntldr, ntdetect.com, boot.ini, bootsect.dos, pagefile.sys (ME has its own swap file).

You can then reformat the Windows 2000 partition and use it as you like.

If your dual boot is set up differently from my assumptions above, post back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…