Uninstalling Win XP after lockout

Amber59 17:21 14 Feb 04

I installed Windows XP on Drive E with a partition so that I could still use my Win 98SE on Drive C (I have a 40Gb hard drive). All went well except that XP would not recognise my modem and I was unable to activate the programme and XP shut down.
I installed a compatable modem, which works with 98, but now when I try to activate XP I get the message "unable to establish a connection".
Without being able to set up the new modem I am frozen out of XP. Could anyone tell me how to uninstall XP (leaving 98 in place hopefully) so that I can start over and re-install XP?

anon1 17:53 14 Feb 04

Do you have anything else on the "E" partition?
If it is just windows xp then Right click the E partiton in windows explorer and choose format. That will not touch the c partition. You could of course just delete it but that is messy.

Amber59 11:01 15 Feb 04

Thanks, anon, but when I get as far as format, I get the message Windows cannot format this drive Quit disc utilities and programs' I cannot do this without losing the format options (I can gain access to Xp in safe mode but can only use the keyboard,using shift+F10 to reach Drive E, then format) I wonder what to do next?

gold 47 14:39 15 Feb 04

You will have to put your mouse on the PS2 socket
via an adapter to work in safe mode if you are using USB,I don't like XP and W98 OR WME on the same drive,are you using FAT32 on both partitions?
don't no why WXP can't find the drivers thats one of XP'S plus points.
You can activate XP over the phone you select your country you get a code in 8 blocks of 6 plus 2.Then ring Microsoft they will give a code.
I think you will have todo a full format floppy in first go to fdisk if you are using NTFS and delete the none dos Partition and the dos partition then create a new dos partition and activate it and start again sorry it's not what you wanted to hear.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…