uninstalling programs/applications

djp51 13:38 10 Apr 04

not all demo,s..games..utilities are listed in control panel add/remove.i,m sure i read somewhere that it is,nt good practise to barge about c drive deleting what you think is,nt needed/wanted.if so "how do you" safely remove anything unwanted.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 13:43 10 Apr 04

See if the app has it own uninstall utility,some have a unwise app in there folder that does the uninstall some show uninstall in the strart/programs list.Some dont show because they are add ons to toher programs and u need to uninstall this to remove them.Is there any program in particular that u wont to uninstall?

Regards.

djp51 14:53 10 Apr 04

hi
in c drive program files i have a small freeware application "calender magic".also a folder on c drive with similar program "daily notes",both unwanted.neither have uninstall.i can see that right click has delete (to recycle bin)but am confused as to what,s the best way to "clean up".ie will something needed be deleted also...?

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 15:03 10 Apr 04

If you are sure nothing else uses these apps then just delete there folders and all in side and all the related short cuts from the desktop start/programs.

Regards.

djp51 15:09 10 Apr 04

many thanks...

Clint2 15:57 10 Apr 04

From a previous contributor (Flecc I think).

Windows Add/Remove uses the application's own uninstaller if one is available, so there's nothing wrong
with heading directly for that immediately.

All ways leave much behind, and I always clear out everything afterwards with Find and
Regedit Find, which it's perfectly safe to do. I've cleared literally hundreds of programs in this way and
never once experienced a problem. Always remember that Windows keeps five days of registry backups in
store anyway.

So called Registry cleaners like Regcleaner etc are also useless in this respect, since they ALL without ex-
ception fail to even recognise that these leftovers are in the registry.

Here's a general guide to clearing out the "bits". The following includes safety procedures. First carry out
any available backup procedures that you have available. With Windows ME or XP, create a Restore Point.

Click Find, Files and Folders, type the application name into the dialogue box and press Enter. Then from
the list found, make sure of the identity of each item individually and delete any components found to the
recycle bin so you can recover from there in the event of any trouble. If the item you're looking for has a
double name, put a question mark in place of the space, for example Hewlett?Packard. This will restrict the
items found mainly to those relevant.

Then click Start,Run,type: regedit , and press Enter. Click Registry, Export, select All, and save a registry
copy to the desktop as a safeguard.

Then, still in the Registry Editor click Edit,Find. Enter the application name in the dialogue box and click
Find. There is no need for the question mark with double names in registry find. With any element found
highlighted, press Del on your keyboard to delete it. Then press F3 to find next, and if anything is found,
repeat the delete/F3 sequence until all references are gone. Then exit regedit. Together with the deletions in
Find, this should clear out most of the components from your computer.

In the unlikely event of any registry trouble, right click the desktop registry backup that you made and select
Merge. It will merge back into the registry undoing your changes. Otherwise, when you are certain all is
well, you can delete the registry desktop backup.

djp51 17:12 10 Apr 04

a masterclass....many thanks.

Studdy 19:57 02 Jun 04

Many thanks for all the info. I have much to work on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…