uninstalling norton

kingussie 09:27 15 Oct 07

My Norton av has expired and since it has annoying pop ups, I am thinking of removing it and going for AV.
Do I first download AV but not install it and then remove Norton while not connected to the internet or is there another method

howard64 09:37 15 Oct 07

yes download first and put it somewhere safely. Next go to start - run - msconfig - startup and take the tick out of the left hand box for anything with the norton name - apply. Reboot then put a tick in the left hand box to not be told everytime and then go to control panel - add/remove progs and remove norton. Load your new AV I use avg and have never had a problem [so far].

tullie 09:49 15 Oct 07

Download the Norton Removal Tool from Symantec to get rid of all remanents

Sparkly 10:31 15 Oct 07

tullie run this
click here

Sparkly 10:32 15 Oct 07

Sorry meant kingussie

kingussie 12:57 15 Oct 07

On looking at Grisofts web on AVG thre are a multitude and none free..which one please

RobCharles1981 12:59 15 Oct 07

Go here! -----> click here

kingussie 14:03 15 Oct 07

Have successfully removed Norton and ionstalled AVG and Zone alarm. When uninstalling Norton,there was a request to turn on Windows firewall which I did. Will this conflict with anything now installed and is there anything else I should instal ?

RobCharles1981 14:13 15 Oct 07

You should turn off the Windows Firewall, goto Start -- Control ---- and The Secuirty Centre or Windows firewall and turn it off.

You may need some spyware programs. Go over to filehippo.com in the "Antispyware" area get somthing like:

Spyware Terminator
Spyware Blaster
Spybot Search and Distroy
Super Antispyare
AVG Antispyware
A-Squared

These should cover you also update them all.

Also when your on Filehippo get "Ccleaner" to clean up any temp files or registry issues.

kingussie 12:12 17 Oct 07

Thanks everyone. Since removing Norton and installing AV I have reduced considerably spam mail and removed entirely the annoying Norton pop ups !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…