Uninstalling Norton

maz2 15:15 11 Jan 05

My cousin has put the latest version of Norton anti-virus on her PC and it is slowing it down so it's practically unusable, she had an older machine so I think it's using a lot of resources. I think it is only a trial version so I think she needs to remove it. I have heard that you have to get rid of every part of it or she will be no better off, can you tell me how to do this please, aslo can you explain it simply as she lives quite a way from me and I will have to try to explain it to her on the phone Cheers

Technotiger 15:22 11 Jan 05

Hi, ask her to re-start computer in Safe Mode (by pressing F8 several times during start-up) then got to Start>Control Panel>Add/Remove and remove everything there naming Norton.

Cheers and Good Luck. Once rid of it, install Zone Alarm and AVG - both free.

feb 15:27 11 Jan 05

Hi maz2 click here first

Technotiger 15:31 11 Jan 05

Me again, Sorry, Yes go with feb's suggestion!

maz2 15:40 11 Jan 05

Thanks very much I have forwarded it on to her, just hope she manages, she said her PC is hardly working wiht it on so I've told her to put AVG on. Thanks once again for your help

sattman 16:26 11 Jan 05

Removing Norton does involve removing Norton and Symantec folders at some point.

However to prevent disaster and to minimise possible problems I would suggest that you follow the Symantec advice. Their is different removal instructions for versions of Windows and again for version of Norton, unfortunately as you do not say what you are using you will have to do a google search "How to unistall Norton on Windows *"

maz2 17:53 11 Jan 05

I think it's windows 98

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…