Uninstalling MSE

exdragon 08:36 15 May 10

Hi - I'm trying to uninstall this from my VIsta laptop. According to the Googled instructions, it should be as simple as Programs> MSE> Uninstall.

However, when I select Program> MSE, all I get is the home screen with no uninstall option, just tabs for Update, Hstory and Settings.

If I try via Control Panel> Uninstall Programme, I get the UAC box saying, 'Unintall or change an application - Microsoft Windows'.

Is this correct? All I want to remove is MSE, not Windows!

johndrew 09:51 15 May 10

I don`t use MSE myself, but if you go to 'Start/All Programs/MSE' you may see an 'Uninstall' option; use this.

If not then 'Start/Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs' scroll down to MSE and click on `Uninstall` / 'Remove'. You may be asked to confirm the action if so click 'Yes/OK' and MSE will be removed.

On completion you may be told that some files could not be removed, in this case go into 'C:/Programs' identify the MSE folder and delete it.

These actions will not remove Windows.

EARLR 09:56 15 May 10

go to Control Panel - Programs and Features, scroll down to MSE and click uninstall.

I can see no reason to as it works well and is free.

Good Luck

birdface 10:02 15 May 10

To remove it completely download Revo uninstaller and use that.

dms_05 10:09 15 May 10

"I can see no reason to as it works well and is free."

Totally agree as MSE integrates seamlessly with Vista and W7 and works very well.

mooly 12:35 15 May 10

Quite an interesting question... firstly I agree with dms_05 and EARLR, why would you want too... it's excellent.

What is interesting is that normally to remove an AV product correctly and fully requires the use of a special removal tool.

Now I asked this very question on the Microsoft MSE forum,
click here

exdragon 15:47 16 May 10

Thank you for the replies.

johndrew: this is my second para 'However, when I select Program> MSE, all I get is the home screen with no uninstall option, just tabs for Update, Hstory and Settings'.

EARLR: this is my third para 'If I try via Control Panel> Uninstall Programme, I get the UAC box saying, 'Unintall or change an application - Microsoft Windows' My question was why should I want to uninstall Windows?

I've installed KIS 2010 and assume that it won't work with MSE - or am I wrong?

I just can't find an uninstall option anywhere!

mooly 19:03 16 May 10

If you have KIS you must uninstall MSE.
Only ever have installed one AV product that works in real time at once.

In Vista go to "Control Panel" and use classic view, which is listed at the left hand side. Go to programs and features and MSE should be listed there... just click it, and uninstall should be offered as an option.

exdragon 19:27 16 May 10

I've got it via Control Panel this time - seems really odd that it didn't work before!

Thanks for your help - when my KIS expires, I may have another go with MSE.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…