Uninstalling Mouse

Channel 18:50 08 Feb 07

I've just bought an optical mouse, but thought I should uninstall the old one (Intellimouse)before installing, as the first time I tried to install the new one before uninstalling,Windows didn't recognise the new one.What is the procedure? I tried right-clicking the mouse folder in the Control panel,no joy, and then opened the Mouse folder, but nowhere could I find anything about uninstalling.Since re-installing Windows (XP) last week, there is no reference to the Mouse in the Start/Programs list.

GaT7 19:10 08 Feb 07

Mice usually don't need 'installing' - just plug it in, switch on the system & away you go.

What does it say in Device Manager? G

GaT7 19:12 08 Feb 07

Device Manager....

Right-click My Computer > Properties > Hardware (tab) > Device Manager > Mice & other pointing devices. G

Channel 21:14 08 Feb 07

I shall try again to install- the instructions were far from clear, and didn't mention whether or not I should uninstall the old one first.When I looked in the Device Manager after installing the first time, the new Mouse wasn't listed there,only the old one, hence my question as to how I should uninstall the old one.

skidzy 21:18 08 Feb 07

Also have a look in add and remove programs to see if you loaded any software for your previous mouse...if there remove this.

Technotiger 21:20 08 Feb 07

Hi, You should find mouse software in Control Panel, Add/Remove. My own is under Microsoft Intellipoint.

Technotiger 21:21 08 Feb 07

PS - and some Mice Software does need to be uninstalled before a new one will be recognised.

Channel 21:31 08 Feb 07

Thanks.I've just looked and there's nothing there, so I'll just go ahead with another installation-probably tomorrow now.So presumably, I just unplug the present Mouse and hope for the best ?

Technotiger 21:35 08 Feb 07

Yes, if you are sure that you do not have Microsoft Intellipoint in Add/Remove ('cos that is the mouse software).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5