Uninstalling Linux

walmers 16:07 05 Mar 03

I recently installed Linux Mandrake 9 as a second
operating system to Windows ME.After several weeks
persevering I then decided I would remove Linux and install Windows XP.Having used Linux to format
my hard drive I now find it impossible to remove
the Linux partition.Have used FDISK and format but
these will only recognise the first partition.
Partition Magic will not recognise any partitions
on the disc at all and reads it as BAD.
Any help on how to rid Linux would be appreciated.
Mick Arnold

woodchip 16:12 05 Mar 03

Start with a win98 floppy disc at the prompt type FDISK/MBR and press enter. after that you need to restart and format the drive with the win98 floppy to fat32

dth 16:31 05 Mar 03

I had a similiar problem last weekend. The problem using fdsik is that the does not reconise the Linx partitions (as Linux does not use drives as such - it uses what are called mounts). So it ain't no good to get rid of it.

If you have partiton magic type program then that works fine with Linux. I don't, so ended up (after 50 swear words and 20 fags). Starting the Linus installation and when it gets to the suggested partitioing info - select edit and delete everything. You can then retart with fdsik again (and re-installing windows) and the full drive is reconised.

walmers 16:57 05 Mar 03

Many thanks Woodchip and dth will try your suggestions.Mick Arnold

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…