uninstalling Linux 2006

coinneach 18:47 25 Jun 06

I installed Linux 2006 Discovery, using Mandriva's 3 CDs, on a 64-bit XP PC. I've now decided to ditch it, having had more success with an installation on a second 32-bit XP computer.
There's plenty of advice on the web about using fdisk/mbr (via DOS) but I haven't had any joy accessing it so far. On one or two sites, it is claimed that this doesn't work with XP anyway. The suggestion about using the Windows XP CD is commonly favoured, but I hesitate to use this in case things go pear-shaped and I end up invalidating my OEM's warranty, which still has 2.5 years to run!
I'm not without experience of formatting the hard disk, having done it a number of times over the years, but in this instance that option seems like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut!
Any suggestions, please?
coinneach

Diodorus Siculus 19:09 25 Jun 06

I think that having installed Linux, you should have no further worries about things going pear shaped!

Boot with the XP CD and choose the recovery console

Microsoft Windows XP - Fixmbr
click here

LastChip 19:14 25 Jun 06

First, I think there is a lot of claptrap written about invalidating warranty's. There is nothing that installing software can do, to damage a computers hardware. Sure, you may get conflicts and suchlike, but a warranty would not cover that eventuality anyway. Just like a manufacturer cannot be held responsible for viruses or malware.

If you have nothing that needs to be saved, just pop the XP CD in the drive, let it find the hard drive, partition and format to taste and then install.

All you have done is returned the machine to it's ex-manufacturers condition.

If you are saying it's a dual boot system and you want to return to XP only, then you could use the repair function to rebuild the mbr, but be aware, XP will not recognise any partitions that have been formatted with one of the Linux file systems - ext2 for example. However, fdisk should recognise these as "non DOS partitions" and give you the option to get rid of them. Just delete the partition and rebuild the partition table.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…