Uninstalling ICQ

Claudia 19:32 21 May 03

Hi guys, I am in trouble again, I have been trying to uninstall ICQ from my computer but am being prompted thus:
"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If the problem persists contact the program vender"
the removal is then aborted. I contacted ICQ, followed their instructions, (the parts that I could understand) it made no difference whatsoever
can you help me
Many thanks

otubby1 19:42 21 May 03

Hi Claudia. Have you tried through Add/Remove programmes in Control Panel? That's the way I went and had no problem.

muppetmark 22:05 21 May 03

I recently uninstalled ICQ, using add/remove programs,followed by a search of the registry, even after that JV16 powertools found 60+ references to icq in the registry.

If it wont uninstall via add/remove programs first try to uninstall in safe mode, if not then a search for all files with ICQ in their title,delete and then the same for Mirabilis files should clear most of it away. then run regedit and search/delete for references to the above will clear most of ICQ away, aftyert that run regcleaner from JV16 powertools should clean it up fully

Claudia 19:19 22 May 03

Yes guys I have tried to use the Add/Remove and its own uninstall facility, it starts to uninstall and after a few seconds the prompt pops up, and then it will not go any further, what is JV16 and Mirabilis?

Ironman556 19:39 22 May 03

Mirabilis is something to do with the makers of ICQ. Anything the with name "Mirabilis" attached is likely to be connected to ICQ, btu I wouldn't go round deleteing everything with the name. Make sure you back up your registry before you make any changes to it.

JV16 Power tools is avaliable at click here and is a collection of tools to clean up your computer. Any registry entries or fles you delete should be backed up and stored so that if somthing goes wrong you can restore them. Once you're certain whatever file you've deleted is useless, you can clear the file from the backup.

Have you tried re-installing the program and then uninstalling?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…