Uninstalling AVG with Firewall Beta

Maturin 10:33 11 Jun 05

Following some advice here concerning the merits of avast compared with AVG, I took the opportunity of my beta software license expiring this weekend to uninstall AVG 7.0 and try avast. However, the "firewall" module has persisted on the system and I do not know how to remove this - there is no evidence of the program in the 'C:\Program Files' folder. Windows security centre tells me that the AVG Firewall is active.

Can someone advise me how to rid my system of this program? I wish to try Zone Alarm which many of you heartily recommend as a (free) alternative with no expiry date.

Alternatively, can someone reassure me that the AVG firewall (beta) may be adequate for my needs?

I am using a Toshiba satellite notebook wiht Win XP SP2.

Thanks

Maturin

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:40 11 Jun 05

Your chances of getting hacked on a home compurter are the same as winning the Lotto on 3 consecutive saturdays. A firewall is really only any use in helping stop trojans and they all fail if the user gives the trojan permission (clicking on 'yes' or 'would you like a free toolbar') AVG is an excellent company and their firewall will be as good/bad as the others so I would keep it ( I haven't used a firewall in 3 years). I would also install MS Antispy as this really owrks well in stopping worms, trojans and browser helpers.....click here.

Use an up to date AV and don't go to dodgy sites, accept no 'free' offers and you will be more than safe.

G

Maturin 19:37 12 Jun 05

Thanks for the reassurance which confirms my own idea. However, the situation is more awkward as I no longer can 'see' other computers in my home network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…