//some 3rd party need geo

Uninstalling ATI Radeon Drivers

BeesFan 17:40 01 Dec 03

At the weekend, my display starting freezing up whilst playing a game and this got more and more frequent

Today when I boot up to Windows (XP pro) it loads the desktop right to the point of displaying my last desktop icon and then crashes to a blue screen of death

I have run all the tests on my Dell Resource CD and every component passed. Thinking this might be a driver corruption problem I thought I would uninstall the drivers and start again

HOWEVER when I try and remove the ATI Radeon drivers using Add/Remove programs it will not let me saying 'Error initializing'

I can only boot my PC using Safe Mode and I believe this does not load DirectX9 - therefore when I try and install new drivers it wont let me coz Directx9 is required

Does anyone know the way to forcibly remove old Radeon drivers or alternatively forcibly load directx after booting to safe mode?

My hardware is

Dell Dimension 8300
1Gb Ram
Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb
Win XP Pro SP1

A_World_Maker 18:05 01 Dec 03

Have you recently run Update from IE? and if you did.. was it recommended that you download a ATI driver? If so.... use 'Roll back driver' in Device Manager... see if that does it

A_World_Maker 18:15 01 Dec 03

Also check that all your cooling fans are operating.

A_World_Maker 18:16 01 Dec 03

Have you tried running the DirectX diagnostics programme?

c:\windows\system32\diag.exe

A_World_Maker 18:18 01 Dec 03

ooppss

c:\windows\system32\dxdiag.exe

Rayuk 18:49 01 Dec 03

How long have you had the ATI drivers on?

Rayuk 18:53 01 Dec 03

click here
For removing drivers in safe mode.

woodchip 18:55 01 Dec 03

Start in Safe Mode and remove Ati from Find Files and Folders. Make sure they are Ati and not part of another program right click and check properties

BeesFan 20:57 01 Dec 03

Well, having rolled back to a point some 20 days ago, I managed to get my PC to boot normally. I then removed the ATI drivers and re-installed

My PC now suffers from a breaking up of the display which gets worse and worse and the system even switches itself off every now and then

I thought it might be a virus attack but all my virus defs are up to date and I managed to get a virus scan done which showed negative

Does this sound like the 9800 has fried itself?

woodchip 21:38 01 Dec 03

Check the CPU is working OK, take the side of comp

woodchip 21:38 01 Dec 03

Check the CPU FAN is working OK, take the side of comp

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…