Uninstallers

loopyloo 16:17 29 Mar 04

Can someone please advise me which are the best uninstallers to use instead of the Windows XP add/remove program because most of the time they will not remove the programs.

conrail 16:55 29 Mar 04

I have a version of clean sweep, had since win 95, gone through 98, me now xp and still use the same programme, cannot remember who makes it as not as home at the moment, try a search, this is better then windows

Diemmess 17:55 29 Mar 04

Cybermedia Uninstaller went out of production about the time that W98 came on the scene.

The firm was swallowed by someone else some time ago and I can't find a back-track in Google.

Best guess would be Symantech or Norton but before you go rushing to buy, remember that nearly all these things play safe. They may remove more than the standard uninstall will do, but playing safe they will always leave stuff all over the place depending on how integrated the "removed" application was.

If it is so important, then you need to note the names of any folders set up by the app. and any other name it might have used. Then when you think it has gone, comb through your HD looking for folders which carry any of those names and delete them if you "feel lucky."

After a reboot or two and everything apparently still working, if you are really determined regardless of risk, then you can comb the registry deleting like mad........... and break out into a computer which has forgotten all about that thing you wanted to uninstall.

If you were lucky, that's the end of the story. If you have mucked up the operating system..........well its a hobby!

muppetmark 19:34 29 Mar 04

Total uninstall available click here does as it says on the tin.

Won't help on unmonitored/previously installed apps tho

Wes Tam ;-) 19:42 29 Mar 04

Like conrail I've used Norton CleanSweep through various OSs and it's always worked well.

©®@$? 19:46 29 Mar 04

dont the uninstaller programs have to rely on the program uninstaller

and if add and remove has problems removing the programs, it could be down to the program uninstaller, as i think add/remove programs uses the program uninstallers to remove them..would imagine other uninstaller utilities would do the same, i'm not certain but i expect so!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…