Uninstall XP, I may need my hand held here fellows

User-324448 17:22 28 Jul 04

I have been asked by the Landlord of our very friendly village Inn to "get his computer sorted"
Its 2 years old,has XP home,and was given to him by a company called "barbox" who are also his ISP. (they sell pub food ingredients)
The computer is that messed up and slow, slower than the old 486 I used to have, and I feel its been fiddled with by people with good intentions who were perhaps a little under the influence,
I reckon a clean re install is in order and I think, reading notes from the archives that I need to go to "My computer,C,right click and then, Formatt, once this is done I can then reinstall XP from the XP disc provided by Compaque. Am I correct.Prof.

leo49 17:44 28 Jul 04

Er,not quite. Windows won't commit suicide so you'll have to boot with the XP disc which will allow you to format and reinstall.

flyingpeterpan 18:07 28 Jul 04

No, you can't format the OS while you're working
in it, but have you tried scandisk and defragment,check with anti virus tools, sometimes it can work wonders and save you a lot of time.

goonerbill © ® 19:05 28 Jul 04

as flyingpeterpan said try defraging the hard drive, remove any old/unwanted software and use nortons cleansweep or any program like that to clean out any clutter that has been left behind by removed programs.

if the computer is still running like a steam roller running up hill, then it may be worth a clean install

User-324448 09:44 29 Jul 04

Yes goonerbill and flyingpeterpan its the slowest computer Ive seen for a while and its had the defrag and disc cleanup treatment. one of those attempting to make it better, told me he found 73 viruses (Viri?) on it.
I have read over the last few years that Norton and XP are not happy together, when Ive eventually got it sorted would it be better to put AVG on as I have on this one, I am very pleased with it.prof

jonnytub 09:51 29 Jul 04

click here for xp home and click here for xp pro

Smegs 11:23 29 Jul 04

prof. I have Xp home and Norton system works 2003 on together, not a problem. They Live together as man and wife.

Have I said that right??? ;-))

TomJerry 11:52 29 Jul 04

!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…