uninstall windows 98 SE

23790954 19:19 29 Nov 03

As an oldtimer, (silver surfer), I enjoy messing about with my computer. At the moment I have windows 98SE installed, but hope to upgrade to windows 2000 professional, which I have just purchased. As I usually format my hard-drive to upgrade my system, I lose all my 'e' mails, files etc., which I always find very frustrating. Can anyone tell me if there is any way I can uninstall Windows 98SE fully, without losing all the rest of my 'e' mails, files etc.,as I have been advised to do a full installation of windows 2000 professional, and not an upgrade, and this will mean windows 98SE being fully removed. Thanks for any help offeref.

madPentium 19:23 29 Nov 03

It's called a backup. Do you have a cd writer? maybe use another hard drive and slave it to back up onto.
You need to backup the following...
C:\windows\application data\microsoft\identities

C:\windows\application data\microsoft\address book

C:\my documents

And any other data files you have anywhere else.

Diodorus Siculus 19:24 29 Nov 03

You cannot "uninstall" win98 unless it is an upgrade from, say win95 / win3.1; even then everything will go with it.

Better to go the upgrade option.

Best still, back up your data (which is simple enough) and then format.

Or: partition your hdd and go the dual boot option.

madPentium 19:25 29 Nov 03

oh,,,and go into Outlook express and then tools/accounts and highlight your email account. Click on 'export' and back this file up to a floppy. When in 2000, simply go into OE and instead of clicking on export,, click on import and bring your email account back in. It saves you setting it all up again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…