uninstall Windows 98

Newuser3605 21:43 08 Jul 03

Due to an error box which won't respond to the mouse or Enter keys, I cannot start my computer. Would somebody please tell me how to uninstall Windows using the cd and start up disk? Many thanks.

VoG II 21:50 08 Jul 03

Before we do that, what does the "error box" say?

woodchip 21:58 08 Jul 03

You cannot uninstall win98. you can only format the disc to remove it. So why not reload 98 over it's self it may get it going

Newuser3605 22:05 08 Jul 03

Thanks. It says:
Error Starting Program
The Shell32.dll is linked to missing export
shlwap.dll:SHRegGetUSValueA

This problem is referred to on the Visioneer site but their solution doesn't apply.I have been driven crackers.
Albert

woodchip 22:07 08 Jul 03

Have you tried running SFC, put your Win98 CD in comp go to start/run type SFC and run

Newuser3605 22:08 08 Jul 03

Dear Woodchip,
Thanks. I have tried but when it has nearly finished ( 14 minutes to go) the error message pops up.

woodchip 22:11 08 Jul 03

Sorry I must be losing it had a hard day again, you cannot get into windows so start with 98 floppy disc choose start with CD-Rom support and have the Win98 cd in go to CD-rom drive letter will be one letter adrift if it was D:\ it will E:\ or if it was E:\ it will be F:\ etc then type setup and run

VoG II 22:13 08 Jul 03

Try starting in Safe Mode - keep tapping the F8 key before the Windows screen loads. THen follow the instructions at click here

Otherwise do as woodchip suggests and reload W98 over itself.

Newuser3605 22:14 08 Jul 03

Thanks Woodchip, but I cannot get as far as the page where I use Start/ Run .This is why I think I have to do something using DOS.

I can access other stuff by putting the hard disk in my son's computer as a slave h.d.

VoG II 22:15 08 Jul 03

Sorry - a bit of cross-posting happened above.

woodchip 22:17 08 Jul 03

That's the best way if he can get into safe mode

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…