uninstall vista

hedonuser 08:33 31 May 07

I just want rid of Vista. Vista refuses to look at the scanner. HP Deskjet 1280 and Epson C60 are so unrelable they are unusable. I have a new Acer Aspire 5610z. This has a 10gbyte hidden partition containing drivers etc. and c: for programs and d: for data. Can I format the c: partition and install XP Pro.?
Can anyone advise please.

Hedonuser

Pine Man 08:55 31 May 07

If this laptop came with Vista pre-installed the hidden partition will be useless if you install XP because it will have been designed to carry out a recovery to Vista and have all the drivers for that o/s not XP.

If you want to install XP I would format the complete drive then partition it the way you want it before installing XP.

ventanas 09:21 31 May 07

I would persevere, Vista knocks spots of XP and a Vista driver for the 1280 is readily available on the HP website. As for the C60, this is quite old now and really I wouldn't bother with it any more.
Scanners have always been a problem and are becoming increasingly redundant with the popularity of digital cameras. You don't state which make and model it is though, there may be Vista drivers available. My 4 year old Canon works perfectly with Vista, as do both my printers (again Canon).

J B 10:15 31 May 07

I would do what "ventanas" says. Visa is a great OS and drivers for your HP are on the website. I have a HP C3180 and it works perfectly. J.B

Pine Man 18:28 31 May 07

I certainly agree with both ventanas and JB - Vista is a much better system than XP and worth persisting with BUT if you can't get on with it you will have to do as I suggest above and also try and find the necessary XP drivers for your hardware.

hedonuser 08:51 01 Jun 07

Thanks for the comments and advise.
I have resurrected my desktop machine and have connected it by cable to the laptop and intend to use it as a printer server with the scanner as well. Not a pretty solution but Pineman has a telling point, I have made a backup of the drvers but they are unlikrly to run XP.
Many thanks again for your comments and I shall say that the tem is closed.
Bye

Hedonuser

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…