uninstall vista

denchris 15:37 18 Mar 07

Hi, I wish to uninstall vista, but gates ? has blocked me. I have tried every way I can think of and it`s no good. I wish to return to XP home. can anyone please help ? dennis

Technotiger 15:41 18 Mar 07

Hi, I am sure I read somewhere that it is not possible to uninstall Vista. Sorry, can't remember where I saw that though.

Looks as if you may have to re-format and start from scratch with XP, hope you have the original XP disc.

rodriguez 15:42 18 Mar 07

Copy any data you want to keep, then reformat the machine and install XP. Gates shouldn't be able to block you doing that. Use FDISK or a similar program to delete all the partitions and create a single primary partition then format it. Then boot up with your XP CD and install Windows again.

Technotiger 15:46 18 Mar 07

Got this via Google ...

Vista is NOT a bunch of patches to Windows XP. This is NOT XP service pack 3! When you installed the upgrade, it overwrote XP's files. Vista is a brand new version of all those files that make up Windows. There is NO uninstall for this except to

a.) back up your data

b.) insert your XP install CD

c.) boot to the CD

d.) format the partition

e.) and reinstall XP.

daxian 15:48 18 Mar 07

hi denchris ....
you could goto this site and follow the steps to remove vista ....
click here

denchris 15:52 18 Mar 07

Thanks for early reply, the XP home disk is ignored completely and reboot from disk is also ignored and after about 30 seconds continues to load vista. It seems I may have to chisel it out physically ! ! !

Technotiger 15:55 18 Mar 07

Have you gone into the BIOS and set to first Boot from CD?

denchris 16:09 18 Mar 07

Yes, BIOS set to CD first, as I said it hangs for about 30 seconds and then loads vista. I`ll try safe boot and see what I can do there, dennis

VoG II 16:12 18 Mar 07

When trying to boot from the CD you need to watch out for a 'Press any key to boot from CD' or similar.

rodriguez 16:19 18 Mar 07

VoG™'s right - look at the bottom of the screen for a "Press any key to boot from CD..." message - it will stay there for a few seconds then carry on loading Vista. This is in case people leave the disc in by mistake.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009