Uninstall SP2 backup files

kimtrnc 07:58 02 Nov 07

I run (XP + sp2. I have a large quantity of directories containing files called something like $NtuninstallB891781$ and $NtservicepackUninstall$ in my Windows directory.
I think these were created when I installed SP2. As I do not plan ever to uninstall SP2, can I delete these files, please?
TIA
Kim

BurrWalnut 08:08 02 Nov 07

If your PC is behaving properly you can remove the Windows hotfix backup files $NTUninstallKB… from the WINDOWS folder (not the application ones for Word, WMP, etc.) and also their corresponding entries in Add/Remove Programs.

Download, extract and run this little script click here Create a system restore point first (WinXP) just in case anything goes wrong during the registry updating.

Alternatively, copy them to a CD, manually delete them from the \WINDOWS folder but leave the now orphaned Add/Remove Programs entries intact. Do not delete the $hf_mig$ folder, only the $NTUninstallKB….. folders.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…